Broadband MTU settings & DrTCP

sunny staines 17:51 10 Aug 05

I have 4meg adsl from bulldog & using xp pro. using standard binatone modem supplied by bulldog.

I have found a web page that shows how to maximise the packet size & MTU settings using software called DrTCP.

click here

I have not seen this web site or the software mentioned before. Does any of our experienced members offer any advice about this software or MTU settings do they make a difference.

ACOLYTE 17:56 10 Aug 05

Thats all good but what does having a optimum MTU setting actually do for the connection?,i know it may be a silly question,lol.

sunny staines 18:11 10 Aug 05

I am not sure but got the impression it would speed things up the max optimisation. IT'S why I put up the question as I not read about it in any of the magazines

ACOLYTE 18:15 10 Aug 05

Ok,i have never heard of the software perhaps some other forum member might have,and if it works great but i wont be using it,if it works dont fix it.

ashdav 19:03 10 Aug 05

I've used it. It just allows you to alter your connection settings easily. If you start fiddling with them write down the original settings before you start. Just in case you go too far and lose your connection and can't remember where you started from.

sunny staines 19:06 10 Aug 05

thanks for the reply, did it make any noticable difference?

ashdav 19:12 10 Aug 05

Found certain sites which require logging in(this one, my bank,etc)load faster if you drop the MTU. Try 10 at a time. Normal bb setting is 1492 but anyone on AOL should use 1400. You will find that a setting slightly lower than nominal usually works better.
I wouldn't take too much notice of the "optimal" settings that DrTCP comes back with but it allows you to tweak them manually without having to delve into the depths of Windows.

sunny staines 19:14 10 Aug 05

thanks - will give it a go at the weekend

Dipso 22:12 10 Aug 05

click here

You don't need to write down your original settings as if you blank out all the boxes in DrTCP and Save, it will return to your originals.

Using DrTCP does affect the registry so back ups are advisable in case things do go pear-shaped.

sunny staines 17:34 11 Aug 05

thanks for the tip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…