Broadband modem won't switch on when PC started

Suzz 20:08 25 Jun 04

I've just installed a broadband modem, supplier by Tiscali.

It works, except for:

When I turn on the computer the lights on the modem come on, but then go back off, as the computer boots.

Then, when I try to connect - it say "cannot establish a connection" - as the modem is dead.

I unplug the modem & plug it back in, it's detected and then its fine.

Using old PC, Windows 98. Any advice musch appreciated.

Graham ® 20:18 25 Jun 04

USB? There should be no other devices on the same hub.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:27 25 Jun 04

It should not be on a extesion hub if you are suing one. It needs to be connected to the main USB points in the computer case.

Suzz 20:34 25 Jun 04

The modem is connected to the USB port in the back of the PC.

At the moment there are no other USB devices connected (PC has 2 USB ports).

To get it to be detected & switch on I have to unplug the USB cable (either from the PC or the modem itself) and plug back in.

THE TERMINATOR 22:39 25 Jun 04

check device manager, by right clicking 'MY COMPUTER' icon and choosing properties from the menu, and check that you have no conflicts with any other hardware....TT

Dipso 23:00 25 Jun 04

It's not the Speedtouch 330 is it. If it is, you should read this thread click here

Suzz 14:12 26 Jun 04

I've looked at device manager. The modem doesn't seem to show up there. The first USB shows PCI-USB Universal Host Controller, the second shows Root Hub (I no longer have the hub connected as it gave me start-up problems)

My modem is a Sagem. No problems at all connecting or staying connected once it's unplugged/repludgged to switch it on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:09 26 Jun 04

click here to sort USB problems

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:27 26 Jun 04

but I have a sagem [email protected] 800 modem supplied by tiscali and it is listed in device manager under network adaptors and is called USB ADSL WAN adaptor.

HTH in some way?

Suzz 01:12 27 Jun 04

Ah yes, took a look & I've got this too. I was looking under USBs...

I'm starting to hate USBs & broadband...
Think I may need a new computer..

Dipso 21:00 27 Jun 04

Before you take any drastic action, can you not test the modem on a mates connection? If it works OK for them consider either a router, (Ebuyer provide a budget model which is adequate), or even a PCI modem and flog the Sagem on Ebay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…