Broadband Modem USB V PCI?

mtwollet 11:02 18 Oct 04

I'm on my second USB modem (sagem fast 800) from Tiscali - I'm sure I read somewhere thst USB modems are not very good anyway (I keep getting USB bandwidth errors ), would I be better buying a PCI internal ADSL modem and if so what sort of spec would I be looking for.
I am on XP and my broadband is 256 Bps ( or will be when the modem arrives , I'm on dial up at the minute).Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PsiFox 11:07 18 Oct 04

An internal PCI modem will always be better than a USB, you may not notice the diffence though.

Remember though that the USB modems drain very close to the max output from a USB port for power so if you have several USB devices you may wish to consider a powered hub for the rest(modem should be direct into pc.

PsiFox

spuds 11:19 18 Oct 04

Tiscali supply two types of modem,the Sagem [email protected] 800 and the Thomson/Alcetal SpeedTouch 330. The SpeedTouch is a little more thirsty for power, but on the whole both units work okay.

Tiscali supplied me with both modems due to constant drop-out problems, and their recommendations covered installing a PCI to help combat the problem. In the case of the SpeedTouch, there is a 'minor'problem via motherboards with a SIS/ALI chipset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…