Broadband modem question

daisy2bell 20:41 08 Nov 05

I have just aquired a laptop. On my main computer ( Desktop) I have AOL BB with a BT voyager which was supplied by AOL.

I have now installed Aol on the Laptop, but I bought a new BB modem for the laptop ( Zoom )

My question:

I assume that I will not inccur extra telefone charges other than my monthly fee to AOL, when using this Zoom modem.
Thanks

ade.h 20:57 08 Nov 05

None at all. Though I am tempted to ask why you didn't choose to make use of the built-in WiFi and buy a modem/router.

Jackcoms 21:01 08 Nov 05

You will not be able to connect to the internet at the same time with both the laptop and the PC using the same phone line.

Bandwidth will be insufficient.

daisy2bell 21:02 08 Nov 05

Thanks
I didn't realise that I had a built in WiFi.
How would this work anyway?

ade.h 21:05 08 Nov 05

With a modem/router plugged into a phoneline and a wireless link to the laptop, you could surf regardless of whether the desktop PC is on or off, connected or not.

ade.h 21:06 08 Nov 05

The desktop will share it, BTW.

daisy2bell 21:14 08 Nov 05

Thanks, I'll look into that

daisy2bell 08:56 09 Nov 05

So if I plugged a modem /router into the main phoneline, all that I would need is a WiFi card for the laptop. Is this correct?
As I don't want to be able to network the Desktop and Laptop,am I correct in saying that I would'nt need to do anything to the desktop, and that the desktop would connect as up to now with a usb modem.

ade.h 21:39 09 Nov 05

No, you won't need anything extra for the notebook; it will already have wi-fi and LAN connectivity.

Your desktop PC could, in theory at least, continue to use an ADSL modem if the modem/router uses another phone socket. If you want the router in the same room as the desktop, then it will either need its own LAN PCI adapter. Whether that is wired or wireless depends, I think, on your chosen model of router and its connectivity options. Most people make full use of the router's abilities and network the whole lot. This has added benefits for file and device sharing.

daisy2bell 22:09 09 Nov 05

Thanks for that.I'll give it a try and if I have any problems I'll be back

pharte 22:23 09 Nov 05

look on the aol keywords regarding home networking. AOL are not the same as your usual providers and there has to be specific things that need to be done:

1. you must use the routers that they specify otherwise you will not be able to connect to the internet.
2. your subscription must be gold (I think so anyway) to enable more than one computer to be able to connect.
3. if you experience any connection problems after you have installed the correct equipment it will generally down to the mtu setting on the router which needs to be set at 1400.

all the info you need is on the aol help pages...send the zoom modem back and get the prescribed router/modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…