Broadband modem not switching on

Halmer 22:42 13 Jan 04

I had broadband activated yesterday. All seemed to be OK and I went to bed last night.

When I swithched it on tonight the two green lights on my modem failed to light up and I couldn't connect. I messed about with the various connections and it finally worked when I had rebooted the PC. I 've just got back in from the footy match and the same thing has happened. I ran a diagnostics check without really knowing what I was doing and it has now worked again.

Can anyone advise me please. I am with pipex with XP and a SpeedTouch 330 modem.

Djohn 23:23 13 Jan 04

Try right click on your "My Computer Icon" choose properties/hardware tab. then Device manager".

Expand the "Universal serial bus controllers" and right click on root hubs, In each one choose properties, then the "Power management" tab. Remove the tick from "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power".

That should cure your problem, if not please post back for further advice. j.

ahales42 23:37 13 Jan 04

Thanks Djohn. Mines has been doing the same for a while now.Thought the modem was on the way out,but just realised it only really happens when i have`nt been using it for a while. what i mean is that i have left it unattended for hours. Hopefully your post will cure it.

Djohn 23:40 13 Jan 04

Your welcome ahales42, I hope it's the same for Halmer as well. :o)

Halmer 07:35 14 Jan 04

I'll give it a go and post back later today.

Halmer 08:20 14 Jan 04

There are two USB connections showing plus an unknown device which I assume is why it is not working.

If I pull out the Modem USB connection a couple of times the modem then lights up and starts working. Could it be to do with the fact that I had my Digital Camera on that port before and it's getting confused in some way?

Djohn 11:26 14 Jan 04

I don't think so Halmer. That's the function of a USB port. To enable "Hot swapping" between hardware.

I believe that each port will provide 500 m/amps of power. Most hardware such as, Printers/cameras/scanners don't use anywhere near this amount, [Some have there own power supply as well] but modems do, some modems require the full amount all to themselves and will cause line-drops if other hardware is sharing the same port/s on the PC.

If this is what is happening, the best way round the problem is to buy a USB Powered hub. These usually have 4 ports on them and each one will supply the full 500 m/amps.

Connect the hub to the mains and the USB inlet to one of your existing ports on your PC. Then your hardware including modem can be routed through the hub. Powered hubs can be picked up for about £20.00 to £25.00 J.

Halmer 13:24 14 Jan 04

before I splash out to see if it is a problem that they are familiar with.

Halmer 18:40 14 Jan 04

according to the nice chap at Pipex.

I've downloaded a USB driver and I'll see how I go.

I'll green tick it if it works.

Halmer 21:08 14 Jan 04

like it's sorted!

Halmer 13:56 29 Feb 04

My problem wasn't sorted by the new driver.

The problem was sorted by buying a £20 Belkin powered usb hub.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…