broadband modem losing signal

valfeast 23:06 03 Mar 03

I am running XP and have an alcatel usb modem which loses power between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. I have to disconnect from usb port and reinstall to restore connections. Probably a common problem but answers would be good. My usb ports are 2.

Gaz 25 23:11 03 Mar 03

click here and click Internet Opt.

I will try and find some things for you may be known for your modem.

powerless 23:15 03 Mar 03

Update your drivers to Version 1.6 or to the newer 2.01 from click here

What operating system are you using?

powerless 23:16 03 Mar 03

Ok let me type it.

powerless 23:20 03 Mar 03

Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Go to the bottom and click on "Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Clcik on each "USB Root Hub" and then Right click go to properites. Hit the "Power Management" Tab and take the tick out of "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power"...Click "ok"

This is known problem but if its happening each day between 4 and 5 contact your ISP.

valfeast 11:11 04 Mar 03

Thanks Gaz and Powerless. I have already done all the things advised by the Gaz site and have turned off the power on six of my usb2 ports. These are on Via PCI board and as Via has had difficulty with Alcatel modems on motherboards I have been unwilling to use them. I cannot seem to find how to turn off the usb2 ports on my motherboard as they are only listed under hubs and do not have the power switch available. Any ideas

valfeast 16:38 04 Mar 03

The power management on usbs seems to have done the trick! It is 4.35 and have had no drops since moving the modem Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…