Broadband modem glitch

kevvyb 11:27 10 Aug 03

I have been meaning to sort thisout for some time and have only just got around to it.

I have a Dynamode PCI adsl modem which I installed myself.

When the PC is switched off there is always a high pitched tone that can be heard when using the telephone. Turn the PC on (modem connects) and the tone disappears.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how I might be able to eradicate it? Dynamode are not very responsive.

Terrahawk 11:32 10 Aug 03

just a thought have you installed adsl filters on the phone line

kevvyb 13:02 10 Aug 03

Yep.

Filters on all sockets where there is a telephone connected.

sil_ver 13:12 10 Aug 03

Does the tone disappear if you disconnect PC from the mains supply or if you disconnect the modem? If so, could it have anything to do with the BIOS being set to 'Wake up on LAN' or something similar. Or am I talking rubbish :-))

kevvyb 18:51 11 Aug 03

Tone disappears when adsl modem is unplugged.

graham√ 19:43 11 Aug 03

Unplug everything except the modem, PC switched off. Plug in one filter and one phone, check for the tone. Try other phones in the same socket with the same filter.

Repeat this until every combination of socket, filter and phone has been tried. You should be able to narrow the fault down to one component.

kevvyb 20:12 11 Aug 03

Thanks Graham. Will give that a go but will not be able to do it until the end of the week.

One thing that occurs to me is that my modem(s) are not plugged directly into the socket. I have a filter plugged into the socket into which I have my adsl and my dial up modem connected. The socket I have is a standard telephone socket and so would not take the adsl modem plug directly. Just wondering if this might be the cause? (no telephone connected on this socket).

graham√ 20:47 11 Aug 03

Did the ADSL modem not come with a lead/adaptor to connect directly to the phone socket? You will have to include the dial-up modem in the tests as above, so unplug that as well, leaving just the ADSL modem connected (via a filter if you don't have a lead/adaptor).

Also check the cable to the ADSL modem is away from sources of inducted interference. Come to think of it, listen for the tone and then move the cable around. With the PC turned off, the cable may be in an 'unterminated' state, and more prone to induced noise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…