Broadband Modem Cable

Tittlemouse 19:19 27 Sep 03

Do I just need ordinary television coaxial cable to extend my Broad Band modem cable or is it specially made for the job...My modem was supplied by NTL and is named Terayon and was fitted by the NTL fitters. They put, what I assume to be a junction box just inside the room. would I fit any new cable to this box and should I envisage any major snags?....The length of the new cable will be in the region of 15 yards. Thank you....

WaiKent 21:21 27 Sep 03

So i assume you're talking about the Juntion Box cable. The grey thing on the wall. well that is a Coaxial cable i guess, why would you want to extend it though? wouldnt it be easier getting an extension of an ethernet lead or a usb lead whichever one your using? and just leaving the modem wherever but connecting to the pc.

A15 22:26 27 Sep 03

It is like Coaxial cable, but a much higher quality. Unless you can actually lay your hands on some, I.E. ask an NTL engineer the leave it where it is & follow WaiKent's suggestion. The NTL guys are usually pretty good, they extended one of my connections (for free) for me whilst on another call out when I wanted to my my TV set up around the room.

Try Maplin click here if you can't get some from NTL.

Tittlemouse 10:07 28 Sep 03

Sorry about not replying sooner but I didn't think anyone was going to reply so I went to bed.

I want to put my whole set up in another room so that means taking the modem as well. I would have to extend the coaxial type cable and not the USB connection. Thanks for the link to Maplins @BJ@. I assume you mean the 'satellite TV cable'. I am also assuming that the little plastic box NTL put on the wall is a junction box and I would have to open that up and connect my new cable to that. Can you envisage any snags. Thank you...

WaiKent 10:43 28 Sep 03

if you wanted to set it up to another room, you dont HAVE to take your modem with it. just extending the cable is fine, but if thats what you want then i guess you should ask an NTL engineer as i wouldnt mess with that box if i dont know nothing about it.

Tittlemouse 10:54 28 Sep 03

OK WaiKent, I will follow your advice and contact NTL for their advice.
You say 'I don't have to take my modem with it', and, 'just extending the cable is fine'. Do you mean the USB cable that connects the computer to the modem?. Or which cable?....Thanks for your trouble...

WaiKent 11:00 28 Sep 03

yeah usb or ethernet.

Tittlemouse 11:25 28 Sep 03

Thanks WaiKent. I will press the resolved button now....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…