broadband modem

Brian-318590 18:30 12 Dec 03

hi i have two computers in the house both have a phone line to them with dial up modems i,m getting broad band in next week can i use two modems the same way as i do now and can i share the connection when one is connected

LeadingMNMs 18:47 12 Dec 03

i don't think you could share the connection like this if you wanted to access the internet with both at the same time. better to use a router with ADSL modem to connect them and this will also act as a network, so both can communicate with each other.

recap 20:15 12 Dec 03

LeadingMNMs is correct a router with network cables will do the trick.

Bagsey 23:00 12 Dec 03

This simple answer to your question is NO you cant do what you want to do. I have just been through this exercise. The reason as I understand it:- On a dial up system the ISP allocates addresses on a random basis so you can get an address for each modem. But on BB you have a fixed address which you cannot share by the conventional means. If you want to use two computers to one account then you must switch off one of the computer before you go on line with the other. But for the cost of a crossover patch cable and a couple of cheap network cards you can network your computers to do what you want. Total cost about £25 approx from Maplins. If you choose the better route you will go for a Router but this will cost you a lot more. Upwards of £90.00 for a standard Router and double to go the wireless route. I tried the Router but could not get the thing to works so took it back to Maplins and went for a cable network and saved a chunk of cash as my machines came with network cards fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…