Broadband Modem

graham√ 23:11 23 Sep 03

Why is an ADSL modem called a modem? As the initials relate to 'MOdulate DEModulate', this doesn't apply to Broadband, as both devices involved are digital.

The term 'Broadband Interface' is more appropriate, but has 'Modem' slipped in to general usage so much that the Oxford Dictionary may have to amend its definition?

powerless 23:14 23 Sep 03

Well modem is associated with computers and the intentet right?

So why change and cause confusion.

Djohn 23:21 23 Sep 03

Just noticed that it says ADSL modem on mine, [same as yours] I suppose it is as Powerless says, to avoid confusion with a router. j.

graham√ 23:39 23 Sep 03

I hadn't noticed that! So am I right that it's accepted as the correct terminology?

Djohn 09:58 24 Sep 03

Sorry, I overlooked your reply last night. It does look that way, especially if Company's such as BT and AOL are using it on their products.

I though, think it's more misleading and could cause confusion. It did with me when I was first looking for a method of connecting via Broadband. I needed to ask the question several times with different ISP's to confirm that ADSL modem was the correct connection to broadband, other than using a router. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…