Broadband: mobile phone signal boosting?

DIYgirl 17:25 23 Oct 07

Complicated story--sorry.

We've had notice that our Orange dial-up service is to be terminated, and I've been told that it's likely that there will be very few dial-up services available in a year or two. However, we live too far from the exchange to be able to use broadband here.

It's been suggested that we might be able to use a broadband service designed for mobile users. However, we're out on the moors and there aren't any mobile phone masts round here.

There is a mobile signal, but it can be dodgy: some places have a signal, others don't, both inside and outside the house, and you can have a perfectly good signal one minute and none the next, even if you don't move. According to various coverage maps that I've seen, we do have a standard signal here but we probably can't get 3G service.

I believe that there are signal boosters/repeaters/amplifiers available to help out in this sort of situation, but wondered if anyone knows if this would enable me to get a broadband service via a mobile modem. Does anyone know anything about this? And if so, can anyone recommend any particular kit?

Thank you!

Technotiger 17:31 23 Oct 07

Have a look at some of these, courtesy of Google .. hope it helps.

click here

I am Spartacus 17:37 23 Oct 07

I don't know whether this is any help click here

It might be worth speaking to them as I can't see a Broadband booster working on a mobile system although I could be wrong about that.

DIYgirl 17:56 23 Oct 07

That's the mobile broadband service that we're looking at, along with ones from Vodafone and T-mobile. You get a mobile broadband modem to plug into the side of your computer (it's usually used with laptops) and you're away.

However, it's a mobile phone signal booster that I'm after. I've found several on Google, but have read very mixed reviews. I've been told that they do work with mobile broadband modems, but I can't find anyone who has had experience of them to let me know how well they work. If at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5