Broadband micro-filters - how many?

dormouse 20:23 02 Mar 03

I have a desktop and a notebook. I have the BT phone point next to desktop upstairs. Notebook is usually connected to Internet downstairs. Total of six phone sockets run around the house but some sockets are used just to extend the line. The satellite digi-box uses one of them. Do I need a micro-filter on each and every socket even if a phone is not conntected to it or just the ones that have internet connection? Really confused!

rct 20:28 02 Mar 03

You'll need one at each socket where you have equipment connected, alternatively you could have a neater (and more reliable) solution of a central filer in the form of a modified master socket faceplate (You'll need to order an altered one as you need to have ADSL frequencies upstairs too). You can get them from click here There's a fair amount of explanation there, but should you get stuck, they are very helpful.

rct 20:28 02 Mar 03

You'll need one at each socket where you have equipment connected, alternatively you could have a neater (and more reliable) solution of a central filter in the form of a modified master socket faceplate (You'll need to order an altered one as you need to have ADSL frequencies upstairs too). You can get them from click here There's a fair amount of explanation there, but should you get stuck, they are very helpful.

bloo meeny 20:32 02 Mar 03

I understand the filters, which are simple low-pass type, should only be necessary where phones are used. Not sure about the satellite box though.

rct 20:34 02 Mar 03

satellite box requires on too, (PSTN analogue modem) which is why the central filter option is so attractive.

While I cannot comment on satelite box requirements, I have been using ADSL together with 3 telephones in various rooms in the house. I only have one micro filter and this is on the socket where the actual PC plugs in - none of the other BT points ahve them and nor do I use the "Central Filter" option of rct.

All the microfilter does is to seperate the High frequency signal from the low frequency which is used by normal telephone equipment, hence one filter where you have the PC.

Worked for me for the last 14 months!!

dormouse 20:55 02 Mar 03

thanks one and all. I hope I can swop filters to which ever Internet connection socket I use. Next problem is the modem. Will have to be USB (I'm on a budget!!) and can then move from one to another.

What is the offer PIPEX are doing on Xtreme Solo2Go. Free Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 moden and two micro-filers? Anyone savy on this?

rct 20:59 02 Mar 03

e-mail me and I'll recommend you to Pipex... (gets me a month free :D)

rct 21:02 02 Mar 03

Smiffy99- I'm rather surprised that this is working for you, the filters need to remove Hi-Freq for the phones... an ADSL modem will happily plug in unfiltered... you must have some degradation in quality on the phone lines!

dormouse 21:09 02 Mar 03

Yeah. I saw that bit about email a friend. Still need to know if I can use this offer of the Alcatel with my notebook and desktop. Also my exchange is not due to be activated until 7 May and this offer is finishing end of April. Will I still qualify? Seen the adslguide.org ADSL Service Provider comparison with pipex, claranet, easynet, freeserve, and a couple more and thought I would go for pipex. Currently dial-up with Claranet who have not let me down but too expensive for broadband. Seems you recommend pipex?

graham 21:17 02 Mar 03

The simple answer is you don't need any micro-filters if you can put up with a loud hum on the telephone, they will not affect the ADSL side of things. You don't need one on the socket your modem plugs in unless there is a telephone as well. After that, experiment!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…