Broadband Line into shed at bottom of garden....

alexgray104 18:00 16 Mar 07

Hi,

I am building a hobby shed at the bottom of my garden and am in the process or wiring it up. I thought it'd be a good idea to have broadband down there to plug my laptop in, and, because the wireless is patchy at best down there I laid a phone cable underground with a power cable in some conduit. I planned to use my old DSL Modem in the shed with the wireless indoors, but I realised too late that you can't use both at the same time. Which leaves me in a bit of a pickle because I have laid phone cable not RJ45 cable. I have done a bit of googling and it has yielded some interesting results. Aparently you can get RJ45>BT Adaptors and also BT>RJ45 adaptors. So what I plan to do is go: LAN Port on Router > RJ45>BT Adaptor > Phone line to shed > BT>RJ45 adaptor > LAN cable to laptop. But, will normal phone line carry an ADSL signal to allow me to have broadband? Don't I need RJ45 cable to have broadband?

Also, if anyone could tell me how to wire a phone PLUG i'd be very grateful. At the moment I have it plugged into the extension socket on the NTE5 master socket via IDC connectors, removing the need to wire a plug. Obviously if I follow out my plan I'd need to fit a plug on the cable, but I have no idea how, any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Fingees 18:17 16 Mar 07

I would suggest you use a good wireless modem/router in the house. Then you should be able to connect the laptop wirelessly from the shed, without any problem.

Otherwise your BB will suffer with any long run of cable, even the best digital phone cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 16 Mar 07

How far is the shed from the BT master socket?

I run BB on a 25M extesion wired dirct to the master socket without problems.

Phone wires click here

Weskit 18:51 16 Mar 07

I find that placing my Livebox wireless router on a back bedroom window cill gives me a strong signal in the summerhouse at the bottom of the garden about 60 feet, as well as in the house. Fortunately we have a phone socket in the back bedroom.

alexgray104 19:10 16 Mar 07

Fingees / Weskit

I use a D-Link router which I haven't had for that long so I don't really want to be changing that yet, also unfortunately my master phone socket is on the other side of the house to the garden, then you have to get to the bottom of the garden so wireless really is out of the question unfortunately.

Fruit Bat

its almost 25m exactly, and I have bought 28m of standard 2 pair phone cable already. I'm not TOO worried about speed, if 1mbps goes down to 750kbps its not something I'm going to be crying over as I don't download music, just browse the web. What really was my question was whether it is possible to use RJ45 over standard phone cables with RJ45 adaptors at each end.

Cheers,

Alex

Graham. 19:26 16 Mar 07

Whichever way you do it, 25m of phone cable running alongside mains cable is unlikely to result in a stable broadband. Too much induced cross-talk. You may have to invest in either screened cable or put in a seperate conduit, at least 2 inches away.

alexgray104 19:45 16 Mar 07

Ah right, well the cables are laid underground now, so I might as well give it a go. Anyone tell me whether its feasible to have a LAN over phone cable

The layout would be:

Router - RJ45>BT Converter - Phone cable to shed (25m) - BT>RJ45 converter - ethernet cable to laptop, providing a standard local area connection from the router (in theory). What I'm not sure on is whether the standard 2 pair phone line will take the LAN signal from router.

Graham. 20:53 16 Mar 07
  alexgray104 21:24 16 Mar 07

After reading all the info, and getting various prices I found out that it would cost me £16 to get all the different connectors required to use telephone cable or £19 to get 28m of LAN cable and 2 RJ45 connectors. With the risk of the telephone wire option not even working at all, it seems a no brainer to me. The phone cable won't go completely unused, i'll stick a phone line down there.

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.

woodchip 21:54 16 Mar 07

This is what you need if you have \Mains in the shed.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5