Broadband - Is It Worth The Hassle?

swanson2 23:26 10 Aug 03

Hi

I have just been informed by BT that my local exchange is to be upgraded to Broadband in the near future and that I should be OK to use it on my BT line.

Fired with enthusiasm I have been trawling apropriate PCA Helproom threads on Broadband and ASDL potential problems and now I am not sure if it is worth the hassle of upgrading!

I use my PC a lot but am not a gamer and as I am retired I tend to have plenty of time - although "trouble free and faster" access does seem an attractive prospect, as does the ability to use the telephone whilst surfing.

There is a main BT socket in my lounge which is connected via extensions to a Sky Digibox and two separate telephones (Lounge and Kitchen)

There is another BT socket in the Main Bedroom (same line) which supplies a telephone in that Bedroom and via extension leads the dial up modems of two PC's located in bedrooms 2 and 3.

I am currently subscribed to Freeserve Anytime which I can access on either of my PC's (obviously not at the same time!) and have not had any problems with this service or access to it.

If I go ahead with Broadband via a USB ADSL Modem on PC No 1 and downgrade to Freeseve "pay as you go" on PC No 2 (which isn't on line very often) am I likely to have connection problems?
(The Broadband Modem to PC No 1 will be on the end of a 10 metre extention cable)

Also am I correct in thinking that I will need to purchase 5 microfilters?(one each for my 3 telephones, Sky Digibox and Dial Up Modem on PC No 2)

I am sorry that this is such a long winded message but any help/advice from anyone who has faced similar problems would be gratefully appreciated!

Regards,

Bob Swanson

Forum Editor 23:38 10 Aug 03

why you should have any hassle at all with a broadband conversion. You don't have to buy microfilters for all the phone sockets - only the one which you'll be using for the broadband modem.

Once you've got that up and running you might consider setting up a small wireless network, so the other PC can share the broadband access too. It's very easy to do, and usually works perfectly. In the meantime there's nothing to prevent you from using a normal dial up connection via an analogue modem for PC no.2.

I think you would enjoy broadband,it's a bit like getting a dishwasher - you could function perfectly well without it, but once you've got it you don't ever want to go back.

hillybilly 23:45 10 Aug 03

Surely, if all five outlets/sockets are the same line, then a filter woll be needed for each one?

hugh-265156 23:47 10 Aug 03

go for it! you wont regret it.a lot more web content will be available to you with a broadband connection.

pc moron 23:56 10 Aug 03

Went over to broadband earlier this year and run the modem on the end of a 20 metre plain extension with no problems.

The ADSL signal exists on your main socket and all extension sockets, so you'll need a filter for your Sky digibox and for each of your telephones.

steve0 23:57 10 Aug 03

Been on Broadband for 4 months - would never go back to dialup. Well worth it

Djohn 00:08 11 Aug 03

Think there may be some confusion here. If the sockets are wall mounted and connected internally to the main socket, then yes each one will need a filter. But if they ar all connected via an adapter to one socket, then only the one filter will be needed.

My Phone/56k modem/sky connection all terminate into a three way adaptor that was connected in to the main phone socket, I removed this and plugged it, [the three way connector] in to the filter and also my broadband connector into the same filter, which is then plugged back into main phone socket. works perfect.

swanson2 01:17 11 Aug 03

Hi'

Thanks to all you guys for such a swift and positive response.

You have collectively made my mind up to certainly "go for it".

Forum Editor - thanks for your advice about the wireless network I will certainly look into it - does this work via USB connections on each of the PC's?

Also I was intending to enter the world of Broadband by upgrading to "Freeserve Broadband" and hopefully will be able to retain my current e-mail address? - is this correct?

So if I go down this path I will get my Broadband connection kit from Freeserve and shouldn't need anything else as they supply a USB Broadband Modem, the requisite software and two microfilters.

(I am still a bit confused about the microfilters - do I only need one microfilter connected to the telephone socket with the Broadband Modem on as advised by the Forum Editor - or do I need a microfilter for each of my telephones and my Sky Digibox as advised by pc moron - or do I only need one microfilter connected to my main BT incomer as advised by Djohn?)

I will leave the thread unresolved for another day or so to allow me to see any more comments.

Once again thanks for all your help - this really is a superb facility that PCA have provided us with.

Regards,

Bob Swanson

Djohn 01:28 11 Aug 03

If your extension leads all terminate into one adaptor, as I explained above, then you will need only the one filter. If your extension lines are wall mounted, then terminate inside the main socket you will need one splitter for each extension.

As for our Freeserve connection, I believe all you will need to do is insert the new CD, this will update your settings to broadband through the new modem supplied with your kit. all your settings will stay the same, IE: username/Password and e-mail. j.

hugh-265156 01:30 11 Aug 03

click here and click here might answer some questions for you.

sorry i know nothing about microfilters as im on cable.

pc moron 01:52 11 Aug 03

Agree with Djohn.

The ADSL signal is digital, your digibox, telephones etc are analouge. Therefore, you'll need a filter at each analouge entry point to the system.

If you can collect all your analogue equipment and plug it all in to a splitter, then you'll only need one filter (this being the analouge entry point).

Having said this, I've plugged my phones and digibox into the standard extension sockets (without filters) and noticed no difference- it seems some setups need filters and some don't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…