Broadband Issue

Jason-211945 16:43 04 Aug 04

Hi,

My father-in-law has just had Broadband installed by NTL. Everything was ok for a while (well, the weekend) now, all of a sudden he can read his email in outlook but cannot access any web pages.

Any ideas? NTL says everything is fine at their end and that's about as much help as they're prepared to give.

xania 16:53 04 Aug 04

Yes. I've heard that NTL have brilliant customer service. Tell us a bit more about your set-up - what OS, how many PC's attached, what hardware.

nyleridedog 16:56 04 Aug 04

ask him to check his firewall settings as their is obviously nothing wrong with his connection! if he can get his emails!

Jason-211945 17:06 04 Aug 04

Don't know an awful lot about his system. He's on XP, just a standalone PC and the modem that NTL supplied. As far as I know he hasn't set up a firewall (ticked him off already about it) so I don't think it's that.

There was a bit of software supplied called Broadband Medic, ran it and there were no found problems (but it is from NTL so no surprises there)! He seems to think it something to do with his settings, but I don't know what he's on about!

techpro 17:13 04 Aug 04

Possibly the proxy server setting (Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, Settings) is left over from a previous set-up and not correct for NTL Boradband.

Jason-211945 17:26 04 Aug 04

settings were reset by Broadband Medic. However, this could still be the issue. Any idea what they should be. Bearing in mind that NTL have now absolved themselves of anything to do with this!

SANTOS7 17:35 04 Aug 04

First open up internet explorer.
Click on Tools / Internet Options/

Click on the connections Tab and then LAN settings

Once the dialogue box has opened make sure automatically detect settings is ticked. tick use a proxy server for your LAN and enter this number in the address part: 62.252.128.4 and port: 8080 click ok / click ok then refresh your page

Jason-211945 17:52 04 Aug 04

Thanks for your help so far. I'll get him to try the suggestion above and keep you posted.

ski 1 01:17 07 Aug 04

on ntl as santos7 says but try without proxy server as this confusses ntl system. reboot then
start up broadband medic and test your connection hope this helps

ski 1 01:30 07 Aug 04

OOPS!! forgot to say test as SEE MY CONNECTION
WORKING if not go to freqently asked questions
and tutorials and try that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…