Broadband IP Address

Geraint J 18:45 30 Apr 05

My pc is turned off at the mains and physicaly disconnected from the phone line when not in use. Is my IP address always the same when I reconnect or does it change each time ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:51 30 Apr 05

It changes every time but you can get a static IP address although these are not really needed for home users.

Geraint J 18:55 30 Apr 05

So can i physicaly be traced, as i have seen programs available that claim to randamly change your ip address to stop people tracking your online movements and was wondering if they were worth looking at.

mike1967 19:06 30 Apr 05

Proper firewall makes you invisable to the net or so they say

octal 19:20 30 Apr 05

So you think you're invisible on the Internet do you? I don't think so: click here

octal 19:24 30 Apr 05

There's also this site: click here

But I wouldn't get too paranoid on what you read.

mike1967 19:55 30 Apr 05

The comment was a bit tounge in cheek

mgmcc 08:28 01 May 05

<<<So you think you're invisible on the Internet do you? I don't think so>>>

I was a bit surprised when a website I visited actually told me what my LAN address, allocated by my router was, not just my public WAN IP allocated by the ISP!

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:30 01 May 05

The Internet is an open resource and as any information is sent to you, it needs an address to send the info to. When you are on the net you do not *go* to a web site, the site is posted to you, so your address needs to be known. A firewall will NOT make you invisible (Steve Gibson can lay it on triple thick when he needs to), even 'stealthing' the ports is as much use as a chocolate teapot. You can make the ports invisible but they are still there and it does not take a genius to work out that an IP address will have the required number of ports.

SEASHANTY 11:04 01 May 05

.....which all goes to show that completely shutting down the PC/Modem/router when NOT BEING USED is the best thing to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…