broadband in house 1/10th speed outside

ableddyn 21:31 28 Dec 09

Hi everyone,
I am suffering a VERY frustrating problem with my broadband speed. It has dropped to a max of just 250Kbps or about 1/10th of what it should be.
My ISP is AOL and their 2nd level support refuse to refer the problem to BTW on the grounds that they ARE providing me with the (albeit dismal) speed my phoneline - as tested BT
says I should have, as shown below.
According to Samknows I am about 2.32km from the exchange as the crow flies.

Until migration onto MAXADSL I was on AOL Silver 1Mb service which worked well. To rule out problems with my home wiring I have tested my BB speed with just the router connected
to the line. This makes no diffeence to performance. Changing ISP won't help. If I get a BT engineer myself I risk a callout fee of £170.00 if he does not find a fault.
I feel really stuck. Any suggestions as to how I might sort this are VERY welcome!!

my router stats are:

Sync Rate 416 Kbps D/S, 448kbps U/S
SNRM 10-12db D/S 20-21db U/S
Line attenuation 47db D/S 31db U/S

I believe these stats support my case but niether BTW or AOL want to know.

The BT DSL checker results based on my phone no. are below:

"For Telephone Number 01834xxxxxx Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps
or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who
will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 250Kbps or greater."

The BT DSL checker results for my address are below:

"For Address KILGETTY, on Exchange SAUNDERSFOOT

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line rate up
to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 2.5Mbps or greater"

For good measrure The BT DSL checker results for my postcode are below:

For Postcode SA68 xxx Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that
provides a fixed line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband
service.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3Mbps or greater."

The latest test on Bt Speedtest is included below:

"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
304 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed 500 Kbps

Download speed achieved during the test was - 304 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :416 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results."

Sorry for the length of this.
Many thanks,
Ableddyn

rdave13 21:54 28 Dec 09

When you use your 'phone do you get any 'crackling noise' in the background? Next time someone 'phones or you 'phone out try to listen out for interference. If so it's most likely a line fault.
If you hear any 'crackling' during 'phone conversations then report to BT about it.

MAJ 22:03 28 Dec 09

"According to Samknows I am about 2.32km from the exchange as the crow flies."

That's not really relevant I'm afraid, ableddyn, what matters is the length of line and at a guess it's probably around 6km. I remember that a lot of Tiscali users had the same problem when they received their "upgrade" to ADSL Max, maybe AOL (WHO OWNS THEM NOW?) are having the same problems. Have you tried any other ISP sites to see what they can offer you, 02 for example? click here

Audio~~Chip 23:55 28 Dec 09

Where do you plug in the Phone DSL cable from your router to ? are you plugin to a fixed Wall socket or a Ext Cable which trials to another part in your place then plugged into the socket ?

ableddyn 16:26 29 Dec 09

Hi rdave13,
I haven't noticed any interference or crackling on the line. Even so I am tempted to use this as a complaint to BT not mentioning any BB problem.

Maj, my house is about 2 miles from the. exchange by road and used to receive a full 1Mb on the old fixed rate ADSL. This was all via an extension 30 feet long upstairs. Also, the Line Attenuation of 47db does not suggest to me that line length ia a problem.
I tried O2 & their (BT based) line checker suggested I could get 0.5Mb.

Audio Chip, I did try it into the 1st phone socket
downstairs with nothing else connected to the line. This made no difference.
I just wonder if a new line might do the trick as I know there is 2.5 - 3Mb outside. I notice a Plusnet offer @ £49.99 with no long term tie-ins. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you all for replying.
Regards,
Ableddyn

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now