broadband home networking

goalmachine 12:55 26 Aug 03

Hello everyone

In a nutshell, we're looking at connecting two home pcs to a broadband connection - both machines are high spec. Can anyone offer some advice as to the best server by price/service and how the best way would be to connect the two together - do we need 2 modems, or will one be enough...?

thanks - we're pretty new to this!

I have 4 PC's on a home network, and they all connect into a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port hub/router, which then connects to my NTL Set Top Box.

All machines can then access the 'net.

I recommend these routers, easy to set up and cheap - my 4 port was £49.95 from Amazon.
There are other models with more or less ports.

click here

Webmaster 13:28 26 Aug 03

You can not run two modems at the same time on one ADSL activated line. Just an initial quick note there.

You mention 'server'? Well, a router is a simple option, easily configurable typically through a website interface over your LAN. If you currently do not have a LAN installed, then something like a D-Link DSL-504 ADSL Router with 4port 10/100 Switch will be a superb option for you since it is a fast four port switch built in to an ADSL router with built-in ADSL modem. This retails at about 94.32 GBP from It may seem a lot, however, when one considers it includes a four port switch, it really is exceptional value for money; and a neat, compact device is all that sits on your shelf!

With this as your ADSL router, all you will then need to do is install an Ethernet card into each of your machines and then configure them to use DHCP to obtain an IP address from the router (I have deactivated this feature on my router since I require static IP addressing, but DHCP is enabled by default therfore your ethernet cards should be automatically configured). Buy a couple of patch cables and install them from each of your machines to the router/switch and then you are finally complete! It really is easy with this piece of kit. Thoroughly recommended with a good control panel interface to configure the ADSL connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…