Broadband help

ian-206235 18:42 02 Mar 07

Just wondering if there is a programme that can tell me if any pcs are connected to my broadband, for the last week my connection has went from 100kbs to a max of 33 from 6pm to around 11pm. Thanks for your advice

do you have a wireless network? is it just one computer or do you have more sharing the BB?

Ptolemy 18:53 02 Mar 07

Which company is your ISP?

ian-206235 18:55 02 Mar 07

yes i have wireless , my desktop and my wifes lap top, AOL is my provider

I don't know of any programme but you should check if you have wpa key and mac address filtering this should ensure that only your two computers have access to your network however you may get more detailed advise on the networking forum on the left of your screen

ian-206235 19:07 02 Mar 07

According to the netgear page 192.168.0.1 there is only 1 attached device at the moment and WEP is enabled so that theory is out I think.

it maybe only showing one device as the other is turned off??? wep is ok but wpa is better do enable mac address filtering tho as only the addresses you enter will be allowed on to your network

Ptolemy 20:09 02 Mar 07

Absolutely no help help to you, but I've been having a similar problem, just not quite so bad, with Tiscali.

Ashrich 20:27 02 Mar 07

6pm to 11pm is the peak time for everyone to be on the internet , it's probably just a case of overcrowding on your nearby lines , most ISP's have a 50/1 contention on their connections , at peak time that will slow you down a lot , plus BT's line capacity may well be at full stretch at the exchange .

Ashley

Graham. 20:40 02 Mar 07

This will negotiate a new speed with the exchange. It's all to do with noise, which increases in the evening.

Dipso 21:57 02 Mar 07

Just come across this click here it could explain the slowdown you are experiencing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…