//some 3rd party need geo

broadband hardware - a bit of advise needed

Tecno Dan 20:42 10 Mar 03

good evening all,

well a month back I got the good news that BT were going to enable our local exchange.. wahey

Now the time is coming close for when we will be activated and I am yet to sort out what hardware I should get.

I have a growing network at home at the moment and I have been advised that the sensible option would be to get a router.

Could some one please check that the bellow router is fine and will do the job on my homenetwork running TCP/IP with a X10 hub. Although it looks like it has a 10/100 switch, if i plugged all the computers into the router its self would they each get X100 (across each port) or would the X100 be shared across each port?

click here

Apart from the router I presume I will need 2 micro filters, and a standard RJ-45 conector CAT5 cable?

Any thing else I need?

I hope you guys can help me out, as im a student and cant afford to mess it up :)

thanks in advance

cheers,

Dan

graham 21:05 10 Mar 03

Don't know about the bellow router, never heard of them. The filters (2) and the cable should come with the modem and drivers.

Tecno Dan 21:17 10 Mar 03

hi graham, the router is for use with my network, so that it acts as a central location for all the computers to access the internet from. Saves one computer having to be turned on all the time.

The router has a modem built into it.

anyone got any ideas about my first post?

thanks

Dan

Good evening graham, right first things first, although I have never used the above product (a D-link, not a bellow) they have a fairly good name, and I'm sure the product should do the job you are after.

Next, you don't say how many machines you have on your network at the moment, but if it is 4 or less, the simplest option would be to just replace your current hub with the router (assuming you are not using BNC connections). It is of course possible to daisy chain the hub off the router either now or at a later date if you require a larger connection capacity. By the way reading what comes with the D-link, if you simply swap it for your hub, the only thing you will need are the micro filters, and these should come with the adsl kit when you upgrade your line.

Regarding your question about the network speed, this will depend upon the speed of the network cards you have in your pc's. If they are 100 mbit's then you will be able to transfer data around your network at this speed, if they are only 10 mbit's then you will be stuck with that speed no matter how fast the router. I am wondering from your question if you believe that you can share your internet access at 100 mbit, but I should point out, assuming you are going for a standard connection (512 kbit), that even a 10 mbit card is approx 20 times faster than your internet connection will be. Also this connection would be shared between multiple machines connected to the internet at the same time, so you would not get a "maximum" download speed on two machines at once.

If I have misinterpreted your question I apologize, but I hope you find this info useful. Regards, Mr. Mouse.

My apologies graham, the above answer was in reply to Tecno Dan.

Mr. M.

Tecno Dan 23:27 10 Mar 03

thats my question sorted, thanks

say i have three computers connected to the router. And only one of them is actually downloading data, would the download speed be the same as someone who had just one computer with an ASDL modem for example? Assuming no local data is being transfered between PC's.

Im not sure how clear i made that, please ask me to repost if its not clear.

thanks for you advise so far,

regards,

Dan

Hello again, yes if only one pc is downloading, you should get the maximum bandwidth allowed to that machine. Of course there are other factors to be considered, such as the speed the server you are downloading from is connected at, and other web traffic. But generally you will get your full 512 kbit's (that's approx 64 kb, about 10 times the speed of dial up) to the machine downloading.

Mr. M.

Pilch.... 23:45 10 Mar 03

by d-link, good bit of kit for under £100.

The downlaod would be a bit less dependant on if the other computers where browsing the internet.

At my little set up, i have created a server in which i send college stuff home etc, that is always connected, and when i turn my main machine on, the band width gets given out in a way dependant on what is going on.

Eg MSN or IRC very little bandwidth needed, playing games or downloading, a large chunk of bandwidth is needed.

Pilch.... 23:49 10 Mar 03

by d-link, good bit of kit for under £100.

The downlaod would be a bit less dependant on if the other computers where browsing the internet.

At my little set up, i have created a server in which i send college stuff home etc, that is always connected, and when i turn my main machine on, the band width gets given out in a way dependant on what is going on.

Eg MSN or IRC very little bandwidth needed, playing games or downloading, a large chunk of bandwidth is needed.

SMB Systems 01:23 11 Mar 03

Just to help, i use a router with 4 port built in hub running 3 machines all with 10/100 realtek network cards, I run BT 500 home service and one machine is sat on Kazaa etc downloading 24/7 and all of machines i use for e-mail, internet, games (online and offline), graphics, website creation etc, i notice no slowdown on the network between machine, they all run at 100mbit and the 2 machines that are not downloading have to noticable slowdown on the web either, go for it Dan.

The router I have is a "Billion ADSL Firewall Router with 4-port Fast Ethernet Switch and USB" cost about £100

Tecno Dan 12:42 11 Mar 03

cheers guys,

one last thing with regards to an ISP.

I im only prepared to spend a max of 25quid a month.

I have notice companys like freeuk click here doing a broadband serice for about 23quid.

Anybody got any recomendations?

once again thanks to all who posted

Dan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…