Broadband freezing up

adfather 16:47 31 Oct 09

Hi..The ISP is AOL (sorry) the router is either AOL supplied or Belkin. When I connect to broadband using either firewire or wireless I can raise a browser or email (hotmail) or say BBC home page without problem...but as soon as I try to follow a link the broadband seems to freeze. The only route out I have so far found is to reset the modem and start again. I have the same issue on both desk top and laptop. AOL say the line is good and blame the router.Belkin say both router and line are good and have no explanation. Does anyone have any input please...

danielgent 14:45 04 Nov 09

Strange problem. By "freeze" you mean you it times out and other pages are never loaded? so you can visit BBCs main page multiple times but never click on any of the links?
You reset the modem AND the computer or just the modem? rather than reset the modem just try unplugging your computer from it and/or disabling the wireless adaptor. see if it works first time after that

First thing first, download malware bytes anti-malware (MBAM) and scan. viruses have a nasty habit of messing up DNS and trying to point your browser to nasty websites, sometimes with the end result that the browser never goes anywhere.

Next try installing firefox and using that, even if you don't like it its always good to have a second browser for testing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…