broadband filters question

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 19:05 15 Jan 03
  Theonewhowatchesoveryou 19:05 15 Jan 03

Ok I know that this has proberly been covered but tried the search box with no joy (suprise), I have today recieved my broadband connection kit from Freeserve and am trying to figure out the filter connection. My comp is in the study (upstairs) and is plugged into the BT box (downstairs) via a standard telephone extension lead, the filter I know must be plugged into the main BT box with the telephone coming out of that (still with me?) with the modem cable coming out of the other port, BUT the cable supplied is only about 12 inchs long!! the book also says extension leads are not recommended. So how do I connect this? can I get a modem cable about 12feet long? and will it work with the usb modem?
Anyone else had this and how can you get round it??

Forum Editor 19:15 15 Jan 03

installing a telephone extension upstairs, and connecting the filter to that.

In the meantime, connect the filter downstairs, and run the extension lead upstairs from the modem port. Plug the modem in and see what happens - it will probably work.

barrie_g 19:15 15 Jan 03

no no no, you need a filter for each phone wall socket, ie. 1 downstairs with the phone pluged into it, 1 upstairs in the "study" with the modem plugged into it and you may also connect a phone upstairs to the filter.

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 19:20 15 Jan 03

Thanks FE, cannot plug the extention lead into the modem port as it is differant shape!!
Barrie_g will this work?? if so looks like down to PCW for another filter!!!
Any other ideas?

barrie_g 19:22 15 Jan 03

install a second socket (sorry my reading i thought that was what you meant) you will need however many meters of phone cable, 1 wall socket, the connections are;

connection point 2(they are numbered)the blue/white wire.

point 3 orange/white

point 5 white/blue

the connections are the same for both wall sockets and it is really easy. (the connections are correct I had a nice bt engineer tell me when i had probs with my bb)

JimmyG 19:28 15 Jan 03

Dont be too concerned about an extension cable, I had to run a 15 metre cable from my telephone socket to my alcatel modem and it has been quite trouble free, including an extension phone connected.

JG

The reason that BT reccomend that a seperate filter is installed on each socket is to try to remove any risk of interference. I have three sockets in the house and only one filter and it all works fine!

Set up - BT cable comes into hallway, one phone there. Hard wired extension into the sitting room and phone in there a further extension into study and this is where I have the filter with the PC and another phone as well as modem connected to a double adaptor in the phone socket on the filter.

no problems and much as the BT engineer set it up last year (January) i.e. three phones one filter!

Brian-336451 19:41 15 Jan 03

I ran extension leads on my adsl modems (when I had them) without any problems at all.

Try it and see.

graham 19:42 15 Jan 03

Modem into the socket where your computer is, it doesn't have to be the main incoming socket. Each telephone, fax etc. will need a filter plugged into the socket and the phone plugged into the filter.

To say it in less words - just put your filter on the end of the extention where you will connect the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…