Broadband and Faxing

RedChequer 01:26 20 Dec 05

I have a fax program, ‘Super Voice’, on my computer and a Inbuilt Data/Fax modem
I intend to switch to Broadband ADSL but before doing so I want to find out if I will still be able to send and receive faxes while on line
I am an aged pensioner on a limited budget and want to get this info before I commit myself to a contract.
I thought that I would have to unplug the ADSL modem to enable me to do this, but I believe that it is possible to do this if I use a Central Filter.
I would like to know if it can be done, and if so, I would appreciate instructions for, and information about, on how to achieve it, as the person that is going to set broadband up for me doesn’t seem to think it can be done

Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.00 GHz
Inbuilt Data/Fax modem
Super Voice FAX Progr

wiz-king 06:55 20 Dec 05

but not with your broadband connection. You can still use your Supervoice program with the dial-up modem to receive faxes and as an answer-phone. It just makes setting up a little bit more difficult, but as you are already set up for it you should find it OK.
You will need the dial-up lead in the telephone socket of the filter and the broadband connection in the other one, if you want a telephone as well then use an adaptor after the filter to split the line for the dial-up modem and the telephone. It sound complicated but can be done easily if you think about it carefully.
I have a couple of PCs like that at work.

interzone55 10:58 20 Dec 05

Demon offers a free e-faxing service for it's subscribers.

I've never used the service myself, but from reading the bumf you simply send the fax as an email, which demon convert into a fax and forward to the recipient, you also get an 0870 number for people to send faxes to, which demon then convert into an email and forward on to yourself.

Diemmess 11:33 20 Dec 05

Noting your need to keep costs to a minimum.
The old modem and Supervoice are presumably in use now. If so, then think of BB as an extra and independant of the old way of going on line.

I imagine that you use the same connection for telephone and dial-up, though you may be using an extension socket for one of those. No matter.

When you install BB, the principle is to have a filter plugged into every telephone wall outlet with a special "BB modem" connected into the outlet chosen for BB use.
Provided your telephone and or fax lead go into the "phone" outlet on a filter you should be able to use BB and send a fax or take a phone call at the same time.
I hope this clarifies rather than confuses things for you !

Stuartli 12:20 20 Dec 05

>>you should be able to use BB and send a fax or take a phone call at the same time>>

"will" rather than should...:-)

Diemmess 13:45 20 Dec 05

Now that's being truly positive! :>)

Taurus 14:30 20 Dec 05

Could I add a small word of caution here. I would strongly suggest that should you decide to go with the idea of using both ADSL and broadband that you unplug the modem from the phone line when not in use. The temptation to stay permanently connected when using broadband is great, indeed is to be preferred in some instances. The downside of this is that the chance of 'dialers' being downloaded to your machine is greatly enhanced. Dialers are rogue bits of software that call premium numbers via your modem. With BB this is not to much of a problem as they can't do their dastardly deeds through a BB connection but they will find your modem connection and the financial imlications of this could be catastrophic.

Sorry to be the snake in the woodpile but one should be awrare of the negatives as well as the positives. Go ahead but with caution would be my advice.

Dave

Diemmess 17:24 20 Dec 05

I like the metaphor "snake in the woodpile"
I suppose it is not PC any more to use the original "nigger in the woodpile"
I grew up with snake in the grass.

IF I guess right, RedChequer will probably be swopping plugs between phone and fax at present and will be ready to do it again once the fax has been transmitted. You do have a point though.

The good side to going BB for RedChequer is to be at last able to use the phone normally whether or not on Broadband. No more missed incoming calls and much diminished need to send a fax at all.

RedChequer 22:00 20 Dec 05

It's all a bit confusing to a novice but I'd like to thank all those that replied and wish them a Merry Xmas
Keith from Down Under

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…