Broadband and Fax

SURVEY 15:59 16 Jan 06

I am considering switching over to Broadband with my present provider (Wanadoo/Freeserve). I do on rare occasions use the Windows XP Fax facility but understand that this is not possible with a Broadband connection. Can anyone please suggest how my computer can be used to support incoming and outgoing faxes?

Stuartli 16:06 16 Jan 06
  Totally-braindead 16:10 16 Jan 06

Your 2 choices are either keep you modem and use dial up on the odd occasion you need to send a fax or pay a provider who will do it for you, prices vary but some of them are cheap enough, about £20 a year or so I think. Don't know much about that aspect of things just what I've picked up from the threads about the subject, but if you look through the search area for the site just looking for FAX say you will find the info you need.

mgmcc 16:12 16 Jan 06

You can continue to send and receive faxes as you do at the moment, with a dialup "faxmodem" connected to the phone line. The fact that you are running a broadband connection for your internet access shouldn't preclude the use of a dialup modem for faxing.

SURVEY 16:19 16 Jan 06

Stuartli,

I was aware of the earlier posting. That also was asking abot whether a fax facility was available. You were correct - it was on 98SE and XP as I have used it on both.

Am I correct in concluding that if the line is Broadband, then even switching to a dial-up connection (on the Broadband line) would not enable fax to operate?

I would not want to use a third party fax service, so really I am snookered and will have to spend my time suggesting to others that they move to email!!

Stuartli 16:20 16 Jan 06

SURVEY currently has a dialup connection - the thought is to switch to broadband, so a fax/data modem is already in place.

I think what you mean to convey is to retain the dialup modem purely for faxing purposes through the normal voice phone line.

SURVEY 16:23 16 Jan 06

Totally-braindead and mgmcc. My goodness how quick you all are at responding. No sooner had I posted my previous message than you had answered the question before I even pressed 'Enter'.

So if I keep my dial-up modem card (which I would anyway) I can just switch to a dial-up connection when I wish to send/receive a fax? I had understood that because the line was Broadband, I could not use the dial-up modem.

Stuartli 16:28 16 Jan 06

A dialup modem's faxes would be sent via your normal telephone line - it has nothing to do with the broadband side.

I don't know how your modem is currently connected to your phone system (telephone extension cable?), but just retain the current setup.

Your broadband service will be provided by a data cable from your main phone socket. An ADSL filter, often called a splitter, is connected first to the phone socket and has two outlets. One is for the BB data cable and the other for the standard phone plug.

You will need a splitter for each phone or device (such as an answering machine or your modem) in the house; each phone's cable goes into a splitter already plugged into the phone socket.

If you have two devices off one phone socket, plug in a splitter and then a double phone adapter into it to allow use of both devices.

Stuartli 16:31 16 Jan 06

Your 16:23 posting appeared after I posted the above...:-)

pj123 17:11 16 Jan 06

I have an NTL Broadband connection but I still have an analogue modem active which I use for sending faxes only. It is not normally connected to the phone until I want to send a fax.

The snag is that if you want to receive faxes via the analogue modem your computer has to be switched on and running and the modem has to be connected. To overcome that problem I use Trinite for my incoming faxes (which come into my email Inbox). That means I don't even need my computer switched on to receive faxes. It costs me £23 per year and for me that is good value. Tiscali, I believe have a similar service for free but you have to have a Tiscali account to use it.

The fax to email service normally gives you an exclusive 0870 or 0871 telephone number as your fax number.

Trinite/Nildram is: click here

£20 per year but plus VAT works out around £24.

woodchip 17:15 16 Jan 06

Just use a Dial-Up Modem about £4 for a PCI one if you do not have one, But it sounds like you are already setup to send and will not need to do anything. As Brodband use a different Modem you just connect to the correct socket on the filter for both BB a and Dial-Up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…