Broadband and extension lead.

jtw 19:53 06 Apr 03

Have Freeserve Anytime at moment and want to upgrade to broadband. We use a telephone extension to reach our pc (in different room to socket). Freeserve say this may cause probs with broadband.
Anybody use extension lead and are there probs?

graham 20:12 06 Apr 03

You will have no problems at all! Extensions, whether hard-wired or leads, will be perfectly OK for broadband.

siouxah1 20:18 06 Apr 03

Hello jtw, I'm Using PIPEX BB.

I installed my own extension leads throughout my house. Two extension sockets to two floors from main socket downstairs. Use an extension lead from the nearest to the phone and router/modem. In all have four phones and the router. Not had any problem whatsoever.

Must say that I did run cable through trunking and used correct extension sockets for most of the fitting. I am not a phone engineer or anything like one. Give it a try.

Regards Brian j

pc moron 21:44 06 Apr 03

I agree with graham and siouxah1.

I've recently gone over to broadband and run it on the same ordinary telephone extension as my dial-up- no problems at all.

Eagie 21:54 06 Apr 03

I have Fresserve broadband and use an extension. I have put the filter at the end of the extension and have never had a problem.

Cantillion 22:28 06 Apr 03

My Freeserve broadband connection runs through two extensions and two splitters - no problems whatsoever.

mikef™ 11:25 07 Apr 03

Same here my BB runs through a permanent wired extension.

Mev 14:05 07 Apr 03

I have bt broadband and wanted to use a 20 meter extension (my pc is in an atic bedroom, the phone socket on the bottom floor). Because it was such a long extension the quality of the cable DID make a difference. I already had a cheap 20 meter extension, the type they sell in PC World or the BT shops. This was fine for my 56k modem but would not work for my broadband modem. All i had to do was go to Maplins, buy some propper phone cable (it isn't made with aluminium in it or something) and it then worked fine. Actually, buying the cable and fittings cost less than the crappy extension i already had. If you are having trouble connecting using the extension just take your pc to the phone point, plug it in without the extension and if it works you know it must have been the extension that was causing the problems.

jtw 14:07 07 Apr 03

Brilliant. Ordering broadband now.

Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…