Broadband extension cable

JustJohn 14:56 24 Sep 05

My telephone is in a different room and I currently run an extension cable so that I can access the internet (via dial up) in another room.

I'm now planning to upgrade to broadband. Does anyone know if my extension cable will be suitable for use with broadband or will I need a different kind of cable.

I know I could upgrade to a wireless connection but don't wish to do this just yet.

MAJ 14:58 24 Sep 05

The same extension cable you are using will work okay, JustJohn.

wky 15:00 24 Sep 05

You would most probably need a long RJ45 cable, which is a standard ethernet. But this is with a cable modem, im not sure about ADSL. Depends on which broadband you get. Cables are pretty cheap though.

JustJohn 15:01 24 Sep 05

Many thanks MAJ

John

Jackcoms 16:15 24 Sep 05

I use ADSL and my modem is plugged into the end of a 26 foot long telephone extension socket.

BB works fine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 24 Sep 05

ADSL on the end of a standared 25m extension cable from Argos, working fine

Jackcoms 16:29 24 Sep 05

Any advance on 25m?? ;-))

dan11 16:33 24 Sep 05

No. 15m:-(

JustJohn

But it works fine on a cheap extention from argos.:-)

woodchip 16:39 24 Sep 05

Just stick a filter on the Incoming box and where you take the BB from see how it goes

Stuartli 17:25 24 Sep 05

I use a 10m ADSL RJ45 data cable linked directly to the modem from the Master Socket's splitter - cost was £7.45 and I got it because the supplied three metre cable was about two or three metres too short.

Tiscali actually warns against using a telephone extension cable because it can lead to broadband modem disconnections.

However, my son uses a 20m high quality telephone extension cable prior to the short ADSL section and seems happy enough...:-)

dan11 17:54 24 Sep 05

Mines on Tiscali BB leading to a wireless adsl router, not connected to a computer. They are all wireless to the router.

All working fine, so far, touch wood.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5