Broadband, etc. (Query for experts in AOL)

jessej 10:21 19 Sep 04

A soon to be son-in-law has recently moved to the area where I, and my daughter, lives. Before this he lived in the West Midlands and was on Broadband with Blue Yonder/Telewest. He has an internal modem? fitted, namely a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor, to give it its full name. He wants to go on BB up here, where cable is not available, and, seeing as he already has a dial up connection with AOL, then he intends stopping with them. AOL will, of course, supply him with a modem. Does he use the one supplied or can he keep and use the internal one, assumming it is a modem? If the internal one cannot be used should it be disabled, either through Windows or even removed altogethere?
Another question is that my daughter has her own computer, also on AOL dial-up, which they would like to link together so both can access the internet at the same time, but I think this has been extensively covered in a back issue of PC Advisor, I'll just need to go through them to find it.

SEASHANTY 11:04 19 Sep 04

Sorry cannot help with the AOL expert advice as on NTL cable BB but I do know that the Linksys website
lists FAQ's on using their routers with AOL BB. Doesn't seem to be all that straightforward
click here

Graham ® 11:17 19 Sep 04

AOL will supply the modem and drivers plus installation disk. Forget the existing adapter, just leave it in.

One thing to watch, the new modem will need a USB port of its own, nothing in a second port on the same hub.

jessej 11:18 19 Sep 04

Thank you for your swift reply SEASHANTY. After clicking on one of the links, AOL using DSL, it does not look all that difficult (famous last words)

If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions.

jessej 11:20 19 Sep 04

Thank you Graham, that jsut about answers my question nicely.

Graham ® 11:20 19 Sep 04

For router information, go to AOL keyword 'routers'.

pj123 11:57 19 Sep 04

Little bit more to it than that. To connect two PCs to both access the internet you need a router. But routers don't have USB connections so you will need to opt for the LAN connection when setting it up in the first place. I have just set one up for a friend (not AOL) but the principal is the same. Most supplied modems come with USB/LAN options and have both USB and LAN cables. AOL also supply 3 filters that plug in to your telephone sockets (you need a filter for each telephone socket you have). A wireless router can be got from Ebuyer. The one I used was the Belkin F5D7230 £44. You will also need the second unit for the other PC which is F5D7000 £26.62. The installation was very simple, it did exactly what it said on the tin. click here and also click here

jessej 09:39 20 Sep 04

Very many thanks to all who replied, you have been most helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…