Broadband DSL dial-up a nightmare

fullerbonks 16:07 27 Jun 08

For years I have suffered broadband dial up every time I boot up. Now I am really fed up with it.I have only the 1 PC in the house, and I'm not in the least interested in networking.
Is there any kind Genius who can inform me of a Cheap system that will keep me permanently on line.It would feel great to boot up and know I'm on line.
I use Vista. I have contacted my ISP who say " whatever I buy to achieve this must be BT approved. They actually have my line, so I suppose they must be sure that it operates OK on BT. PLEASE HELP. PETE.

Clapton is God 16:38 27 Jun 08

Not sure what you mean - "broadband dial-up".

Why not put a shortcut from your modem into the Startup folder, that should connect you as you boot up?

fullerbonks 17:00 27 Jun 08

Thanks for your interest Clapton. Ever since the initial installation I have to click on "Connect to my ISP". It then goes through the routine of confirming my name and password, then registering my pc on the web, and evetually I get connected. It really tries my patience.
However I know there is a way of having the broadband permanently connected. I think it could be by using a 1 port dsl router. but I really would not know what to get.
I don't think there is any way of putting a shortcut from the modem into start up. If there is I don't know how!.
Pete.

Technotiger 17:05 27 Jun 08

In IE Tools>Internet Options>Connections you should make sure that ... Never dial a connection. ... is checked.?

Woolwell 17:14 27 Jun 08

I had to connect every time I booted up my PC with my old Speedtouch USB modem. The problem lies with the fact that unlike a modem/router it didn't retain the settings. So I don't think that Technotiger's solution will work.
A modem that retains the settings or a simple modem/router (non cable) should be ok. You will have to connect by ethernet and configure and if a router disbale the wireless part.

Woolwell 17:15 27 Jun 08

"disable" not "disbale"

Technotiger 17:35 27 Jun 08

I have always understood that Broadband and Dial-up are two totally different animals!

If you have ADSL then my comment above does apply - if you are only on DIal-up then it does not apply.

Woolwell 18:36 27 Jun 08

Broadband and Dial-up are two different animals.
But although the ADSL line was live with the Speedtouch I had to do exactly the same as fullerbonks. It is not strictly speaking a dial-up connection but it looks like it. Every time after a boot up I had to connect. A modem/router solved the problem or a newer modem.

amonra 19:16 27 Jun 08

Buy yourself a new modem/router and solve all your problems. They are available from £20 upwards (try EBuyer)and are permanently ON, no waiting for connection etc.

Technotiger 19:25 27 Jun 08

Have a look at click here and take one of their packages and you will be given a free BtHome Hub router - I have one and it is excellent.

fullerbonks 12:10 28 Jun 08

Thanks everyone of you for your generous help.I'm afraid nothing I've tried seems to work, so I have been looking for a cheap ADSL Router as suggested by amonra & Woolwell. I have found what looks like a nice little unit for about £15. The only problem seems to be that none of them say if it's compatible with Vista, they all seem to stop at XP. I don't know what to do.
Thanks,
Pete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…