Broadband drops connection when phone used...

Baledor 11:14 01 Oct 04

Against Wanadoos' advice I needed to set up an extension to my computer desk (unless I wanted to sit on the windowsill of my living room!) so my connection goes like this:

I have a double telephone jack plugged into the line in, in the wall. One has a phone in it, the other goes to the extension, which extends to my computer desk.

at the end of the extension I have the ADSL filter and my modem plugged into that.

The problem is when the phone is picked up, the BB connection is lost. Do I need to move the phone onto my computer desk and plug it into the filter? I think I have answered my own question, but I would appreciate your views/experiences...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 01 Oct 04

Need a filter for EACH piece of equipment.

One for main phone, one for modem and phone on end of extension.

Should have been two filters with wannado pack

Baledor 11:21 01 Oct 04

and I will try it, good idea!

Noelg23 12:06 01 Oct 04

no no no...that sounds confusing!! you say you have one master telephone socket? you have a double adapter and an extension cable...but you dont mention if your phone is digital or not...here's what you do..first get rid of the double adapter..plug the extension cable into the master socket in the wall...then from the extension cable plug one filter on the end of that cable then you can have your modem and phone plugged into the filter...if you have a digital cordless phone I would discard that and get a cordless analogue or a normal corded phone the reason I say this is cos the digital signal on the phone can disrupt the digital signal on the broadband...I use to work at BT Broadband so I do know what I am talking about here...

Lionheart ? 12:12 01 Oct 04

I use a Digital Cordless + Broadband don't have any problems.

Graham ® 13:11 01 Oct 04

Noelg23 has a thing about digital cordless phones!

Baledor, can you fit a filter into the double adapter, then plug the phone into the filter? Probably only possible if the filter is the type with a short lead. If not, a short extension cable could be used.

Note that a filter is not needed at the modem end if no telephone is being used there. You would require a BT plug to RJ11 cable. There could be one of these plugged into the dial-up modem that is no longer being used.

Noelg23 13:21 01 Oct 04

as if life isnt confusing enough they make it harder for broadband users who want to use more than 1 phone in the house...and Lionheart...it dont matter how long you have had broadband with digital cordless phones sooner or later you will notice the problems...whether it take 5years or 5months...it will happen...some people are just lucky but not everyone is...Graham is right tho you can use an RJ-11 lead...but Graham I disagree about the filter in the double adapter...I had an adapter and I thought I would try it out and sure enough the bugger didnt like the adapter so I got rid of it...now when I want to go on the Net I unplug the digital phone and put my extension cable into the main phone point and the connection is great...so for someone who has worked with broadband I know what I am talking about...and yes I have thing about cordless digital phones...

Djohn 13:35 01 Oct 04

I think that Graham ® also had a long and successful career with BT and is well respected for his knowledge on all things BT related.

Baledor.

The best basic method of setting up your broadband connection is to plug the ADSL micro filter direct into the main phone socket, Connect your phone to the Phone inlet of the filter and your Modem lead into the ADSL side of the filter.

I realise this is not always possible due to the position of your PC and the main socket but whichever method you use, try to achieve the same result as above.

Djohn 13:42 01 Oct 04

Maplins do a 10 metre lead with RJ11 connectors at both ends. I use one myself giving a direct connection from the USB modem to the ADSL filter at the main phone socket, also with a digital cordless phone. I have not had any problems to date.

Baledor 13:46 01 Oct 04

and let you know Monday, thanks for your ideas.

€dstowe 13:53 01 Oct 04

Remember it is the telephone that requires the filter, not the ADSL line. The filter removes the high frequency digital signal from the line and allows the analogue (phone) signal to pass through.

On my setup here, only the BB is connected to the line and there is no filter involved at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac