Broadband, - Download 20x Faster than Upload.

thegreypanther 23:36 19 Aug 08

I am using a Virgin Media cable connection for my broadband. This uses a Terrayon TJ210 modem which is about 5 years old.
Recently I have been having severe connection problems, with the system cutting out and the cable modem needing to be rebooted when I try and upload data.
Testing the connection using MyBroadbandSpeed.Co.Uk the download speeds are reported as being 8mb, but the upload speeds only 400K.
Is a difference such as this usual? Shouldn't the upload speed be considerably higher?
Or is the old cable modem not up to the job of a modern 8Mb connection?

brundle 23:51 19 Aug 08

Virgin state 512Kb for uploads on the 10Mbit service, knock off 20% (your 8Mbit connection), 400 sounds about right. All the standard consumer broadband products are asymmetrical.

Stuartli 00:08 20 Aug 08

Around 380 to 400Kb is, as brundle states, around the average.

birdface 09:03 20 Aug 08

I am only on 2 mb and download speed is about 1960 kbps and upload speed about 191 kbps but just recently the upload speed has dropped to around 150-160 kbps so whether Virgin is dropping there speeds while they are upgrading the 4Mb to 10mb I do not know.

Andsome 09:27 20 Aug 08

My download is always well over 9800kbps, and upload is always between 400 and 490.

DippyGirl 09:30 20 Aug 08

Consistent 7mb/1mb with O2 8mb uncapped

thegreypanther 17:13 20 Aug 08

Many thanks all for contributions. Looks like I'm getting the correct download and upload speeds. So somehow I've still got to work out why the system crashes when I try to upload a zipped file to a photo sharing website.
Virgin Media have been very good and are arranging to update the modem. My feeling is that the modem was perfectly OK for 1 Mb stuff, but now that the cable speeds are 8x this then maybe the 5 or 6 year old modem becomes a bit unhappy at times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017