Broadband disconnects when phone answered.

murgle 19:02 11 Jan 05

Hi,

My father has Tiscalli Broadband which came with the kit that plugs strait in to the telephone socket. Everything worked fine, until he moved the computer to another room using an extention cable. Now, every time a telephone call is answered the broadband disconnects.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to overcome this problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Technotiger 19:07 11 Jan 05

Hi, first thing is, has he got the telephone line/adsl splitter correctly attached?

Taw® 19:08 11 Jan 05

you need an adsl filter for each phone line these can be picked up quite cheaply

Technotiger 19:09 11 Jan 05

Just to make things clear - splitter and filter are exactly the same thing - just different terminollogy.

murgle 19:22 11 Jan 05

Sorry if I sound thick, but which end should the filters be. Between the BT box and the extention cable or between the end of the extension and the telephone.

Thanks

skaria 19:28 11 Jan 05

the splitter should be in the socket where your broadband/adsl connection is connected I believe.
Skaria

Technotiger 19:32 11 Jan 05

Skaria is correct. You haven't said if this is the only phone or if you have more than one?

murgle 19:34 11 Jan 05

There are two telephones in the house. Thanks

Technotiger 19:37 11 Jan 05

Me again - just to make things a little bit clearer - the filter should be connected to the phone box in the wall, then the ext cable to the adsl socket and to the adsl modem. The other socket on the filter marked Phone (or similar) connects to the telephone.

Technotiger 19:38 11 Jan 05

Each telephone should have its own Filter.

Graham ® 20:10 11 Jan 05

Check the extension cable is not close to any mains wiring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…