Broadband disconnects and reconnects every 24 hrs.

Sapins 13:42 25 Feb 04

I have Wanadoo ADSL and the Status box shows Status, Duration and speed. When it gets to 24hrs it shows 1 day then counts a few minutes then disconnects and redials automatically. Does the "clock" only go up to 24hrs? I thought permanent connection meant just that.

Regards,

Sapins.

Chegs ® 14:03 25 Feb 04

No idea why yours does it every 24hrs,but I wish mine would stop going on/off every few mins.I have sussed what causes it(Nero's InCd)but cannot get rid of this problem again. ;-)

Sapins 18:24 25 Feb 04

Sapins 22:01 25 Feb 04

encore

AcidBurn7uk 00:38 26 Feb 04

Don't know exactly how ADSL works but it could be that it needs to get a new IP address from your ISP's dhcp servers?!?!

Chegs ® 01:18 26 Feb 04

I finally managed to fix my ADSL(it was system file corruption)and now am more inclined to try and answer this question.

ADSL runs thru the phoneline,it operates at a higher frequency than the voice calls(hence the need for a filter)and this is what allows both voice and ADSL to operate at the same time.Before I changed over to Nero,I could (and did)regularly get over 3 days continuous connection,so if your getting cutoff every 24 hours,its your ISP monitoring the upload/download data(not so much WHAT it is,just if its actually in use)and when it "see's" that the connection is idle,it will log you off and straight back on.The only time I can see this being a contentious issue,is if you were attempting to download a huge file(it would need to be **GB's to occupy your d/l'ing for the full 24 hours plus)and this "timer" cut you off mid point.

Hope this helps you. ;-)

Sapins 12:46 26 Feb 04

I haven't a clue what you mean AcidBurn7uk but thanks for your input.

Hi Chegs ®, if what you say is correct why every 24hrs, the connection is idle for long periods before it reaches 24hrs!! As to large downloads, what will I do when XP service pack XYZ arrives? I might take this up with Wanadoo,I might not :-)

Will tick this now and continue with my DIY.

Thanks for your help both of you.

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…