Broadband disconnection

LPB 16:57 01 Nov 04

I recently installed a broadband connection from The Phone Co-op. This generally works well, but when my PC (using Windows XP Home Edition with SP2) shuts down to save energy, on awaking the PC the broadband connection has gone. I then have to reboot the PC. Is there a way round this? Should I contact The Phone Co-op?
Cheers
LPB

hugh-265156 17:26 01 Nov 04

am guessing but try this maybe:

open 'start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager' see if your modem is listed here, if so right click it/properties and look for a 'power options' tab and untick 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

sean-278262 17:26 01 Nov 04

if you drag the icon for your broadband connection from the network connections in my computer/control panel to the desktop. it will ask you if you want to make a short cut say yes.

then all you do is double click on it to reactivate the connection.

LPB 20:50 03 Nov 04

To huggyg71 and Creature of the Nite.
Sorry, chaps but neither idea worked. I contacted The Phone Co-op and they were stumped too, as everything seems to be setup OK. Someone is coming to check the PC on 09.11.04. Will let you know if/how problem is solved.
LPB

Graham ® 20:59 03 Nov 04

Is this a laptop?

If the PC is shutting down, the broadband connection will be lost and you will have to re-connect.

Why do you have to re-boot?

sean-278262 21:00 03 Nov 04

have you tried unplugging and replugging the BB modem after you turn off energy saving mode?

LPB 23:49 03 Nov 04

Graham: Not a laptop. Phone Co-op say disconnection should not happen. Creature of the Nite: Yes, on awaking PC, unplugging and replugging ADSL router does sometimes restore broadband connection - but not always. Again, Phone Co-op say I shouldn't have to do this.
Will have to postpone this discussion as I have to have a minor op in hospital. Thanks for all comments.
LPB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009