Broadband disconnection

emmos 09:42 28 Jul 04

My broadband keeps disconnecting, it could happen at any time and sometimes it will run all day,the only way to get it back is to reset the modem or switch off the pc, I am connected to it via ethernet, the two wireless connected pc's are unaffected by the disconnection which leads me to believe that it is the pc which is causing the disconnection and not the modem, also if it is reset by switching off the pc the time shown by the modem is as though it has never been off.Help- Dave

johnsims 10:20 28 Jul 04

If I read your post correctly, you can still access the internet via one or both of the wirelessly connected PC's at a time when the cabled PC is not responding and seems to be disconnected. If this is the case then as you say, it cannot be the modem. The first thing to check is that your network card is properly seated. Next check the cable to the PC that is "disconnected" by trying another cable. After that, unless it is a dodgy ethernet port on the modem/router (try the cable in another port if you have one) it seems it has to be a windows problem - perhaps one of the services windows runs in the background is interferring on occasion.

emmos 10:33 28 Jul 04

I do not have a network card the ehernet socket is on the m/b, the lead seems ok, should I start disabling the programmes which are running in the background.

emmos 10:36 28 Jul 04

I do not have a network card the ehernet socket is on the m/b, the lead seems ok, should I start disabling the programmes which are running in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…