Broadband Disconnection

snowy30 02:22 29 Jun 04

I haven't got a problem this time, a relative has a problem. His broadband keeps getting disconnecting after something like 15 minutes give or take 5 mins. He's on a 600k speed with NTL, which he uses his X-Box on as well as his comp. X-box seems to be fine, which obviously doesn't count for the broadband itself causing the problem. I ticked the 'Automatically detect settings' box in LAN settings on the connections tab in Internet Options, and the 'Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser' box on the Programs tab. Again, I ran the spybot programme to search for spyware. I even uninstalled the driver for the USB cable modem connection to the computer, and reinstalled it. I even removed the Dial-up adapter from the connections tab.

Is it possible that other spyware not dectected by the spybot software is to blame?

pavel 08:53 29 Jun 04

I too have a friend with the same problem on NTL also I have AOL on NTL Cable that on accasion drops off for no good reason. This does seem to happen to NTL sporadically. Why? I dont know but it can be annoying, I too have tried the same fixes you have and to no avail, sorry not much help but a lot of empathy.
Pavel

Androcles 09:41 29 Jun 04

Sounds more like a virus to me,have you tried a virus scan?

billyliv 09:56 29 Jun 04

Hi, I am in the UK Midlands and have been on NTL cable since it was 'Telecential'. I upgraded to NTL broadband when it became avaliable in our area and not once have I experienced a dropped connection. What are the chances of sending me, by E.Mail, Screen Prints of ALL the internet and mail settings on the affected computer. I sorted out a neighbours computer who was having similar problems in 20 mins. NTL couldn't sort it out because they couldn't see his settings. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009