Broadband Disconnecting

Gnomic Lance 23:40 22 Jun 06

My BT Broadband keeps on disconnecting.
I use Hotmail (free servive) with Outlook Express and I wonder if this is the reason?

Has anybody else had or has still got the same problem?

johnnyrocker 23:41 22 Jun 06

doubt it but much more info needed your os and connection methods might be good by way of a start.

johnny.

Gnomic Lance 23:49 22 Jun 06

The problem appeared out of the blue and no changes on the computer or settings were made. Working 95% OK one day and not the next.

Modem has been checked to be found OK. Engineer reckoned that the fault lies on my computer. Not on the BT line.

99% of the faults occurs when I open Outlook Express. The failure rate is 100% within two minutes.
Problem has occured since May 2006.

rodriguez 00:10 23 Jun 06

My BT Broadband connection didn't work the other day either. Took about 4 hours for it to connect. The router connected to DSL because the DSL light was solid, but it just wouldn't give an internet connection. When I went on the router configuration page, it had the Connect button and when you pressed it it would say "Connecting..." then after a few seconds go back to that previous page with the Connect button and wouldn't connect at all. I don't know if this is what happens to yours, but I fixed it by randomly pressing things - the one that made it work was going to the router config page and going on Advanced, DSL, then changing the line mode to T1.413 and saving. When this made the situation worse by making it not get passed the "Handshaking" stage, I changed it back to Auto and it connected. This winning combination of buttons took me 4 hours of fiddling. Mine hasn't gone off again since though so I haven't had chance to see if this method fixes it all of the time.

lester1 00:12 23 Jun 06

Shot in the dark but do you have the option to hang up when finished sending/receiving box ticked?

I use Outlook but I assume something similar will be available in OE express.

Gnomic Lance 00:16 23 Jun 06

Good tip, Lester. This box was ticked by accident.

I will now see if this cures the problem !?

Gnomic Lance 00:16 23 Jun 06

It doesn't.

Gnomic Lance 00:30 23 Jun 06

Rodigrez: the green light was still on. The BT technician went through some standard procedures and nothing changed.

It is usually OK when I close Outlook Express.

Gnomic Lance 09:26 23 Jun 06

It has not happened so far this morning. I think this is just luck though ?

As soon as a message arives in my EMail inbox, the Broadband seems to cut off. Messages arrive every minute or so, mostly spam, so then the cut-off occurs.

Gnomic Lance 09:53 23 Jun 06

It has now been 20 minutes and my Broadband has not turned itself off. I have not received any spam during this period though, but I have received messages.

Fingers crossed.

Gnomic Lance 19:15 23 Jun 06

Broadband now working. Lester 1 seemed to have the answer.

How did the box become ticked ???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…