Broadband and digital phones

jjf72 13:21 05 Feb 04

I've recently connected to Freeserve Broadband and have an intermittent problem connecting. It goes through the process then sticks at the 'verifying username and password'. When this happens it usually won't connect for the rest of the day.

I've spoken to the helpline four times in the last week and have mostly been given a load of flannel about the connection not being completed, but yesterday they told me that digital phones can interfer with the BB signal.

Apparently the voice and data signals are very similar and can interfer. His only suggetion was to dump my (new) digital phone. Is there any truth in this, and if so are there any more sensible solutions than binning the phone

Many thanks

Djohn 13:28 05 Feb 04

I'm not sure if a digital phone can cause this problem. I have one and there are no adverse affects with my broadband connection.

sat481 13:37 05 Feb 04

Who ever told you this is speaking rubbish. A digital phone still sends an analogue signal down the phone line . The digital aspect is from the base station of the phone to the handset or in the answering machine. So a digital phone will in no way interfer with a BB connection.

As to the connection problem... I had a similar problem a while ago.. I solved it by removing the account, restarting my PC and then re-entering the account details. Don't know if this will help you but you can only try..

jjf72 13:43 05 Feb 04

sat 481

That's what I thought but I deferred to the so called expert on the helpline. He did get me connected but it involved unplugging the modem so it could reset, which I really don't fancy doing each time I have a problem.

Rather worrying about Freeserve tho. That's 4 out of 4 people who've spun me a line.

sat481 13:47 05 Feb 04

I work as a communications technicain and have done everything from telephone exchanges to sat comms, and you'd be suprised the amount of people that try spin people to the unsure. I never take anything these so called helplines say as gospel and always try and verify it from another source...

Saying that I have also talked to some switched on cookies...

Good luck jjf

byfordr 13:52 05 Feb 04

Definately sounds like b/s to me...have used Dect phones with absolutely no impact to the broadband connection

DieSse 14:05 05 Feb 04

Well - I've had two cases recently of DECT phones putting enough noise on the phone line to disrupt in one case an ADSL connection, and in the other an analogue connection - but I've simply put them down as faulty.

There's an easy way to prove it however - go back to your old phone for a couple of days, and see if you still get the problem!

sat481 14:09 05 Feb 04

This may be a stupid question DieSse.. but how can a Dect phone disrupt an analogue connection. Since when an analogue modem is in use it will use the whole line and basically cut the Dect phone out. Why would the Dect phone be permentantly putting noise onto the line???

jjf72 14:40 05 Feb 04

I've just spoken to Freeserve again, pleading complete ignorance, to see what they could come up with.

Apparently digital phone interference is a known issue with BB. Pity they don't mention this in the manual.

Dweeb No 1 said the reason was that the digital phone drains more power from the phone line than an analogue phone which may cause slow down or dropped connection. Only solution is to buy an analogue phone.

Dweeb No 2 said that the digital signal down the line ( are you getting this sat481 :) ) interfers with the ADSL signal. Also the microfilters are only designed for use with analogue phones. I can apparently buy a 'stronger' filter from PC World which should correct the problem.

I'm not sure how close any of this is to the actualite, but if it continues the modem will be winging it's way back to Freeserve.

Thanks for the responses

sat481 14:59 05 Feb 04

I've just spent the last 15 minutes looking for references to digital telephones interfering with ADSL.. I found nothing at all.. The only thing I can think off is that the digital phone that you have has a VERY high REN.. I found a brief article in an ADSL knowledge database click here so maybe this could be the problem!!!!!! Can i ask if you have many phone points with things plugged into them or is it just the telephone and ADSL??

sat481 15:00 05 Feb 04

PS... Have you tried just unplugging the phone at times that you cannot connect. This would at least ease your mind

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…