Broadband & dialup at the same time

ton 21:00 02 Apr 04

Should it be possible to connect two PC's, one broadband and the other dialup (different ISP's)both at the same time on one line?

When we try this, connecting the second puts the first one offline.

Is this normal or do we have a problem with the line?

lpl56407 21:25 02 Apr 04

It is not possible. There is no line problem.

Dipso 21:32 02 Apr 04

Sorry but it is possible. You just need to make sure you are using a filter with the dial up lead.

If you are already doing this, it could be a dodgy filter.

ton 21:41 02 Apr 04

Have tried two different makes of filter on the dialup lead, very unlikely they are both faulty.

AubreyS 21:45 02 Apr 04

Yes it is possible. I'm doing it right now.

Dipso 21:49 02 Apr 04

Yes, unlikely that they are both faulty as you say.

I take it you have no problem with voice calls whilst your BB connection is on?

ton 21:58 02 Apr 04

No problem using phone and BB together.

TECHNODIMWIT 22:01 02 Apr 04

Whynot run main pc on B/Band and network the second PC on the same connection, leaving the phone line free.

TomJerry 22:46 02 Apr 04

A mistake some people made is put one filter after another. The function of a filter/split is to separate high frequency signal (adsl broadband) from low frequency signal (phone and dial up). If a signal is cut off by the first filter, the 2nd one cannot get it back.

ton 22:50 02 Apr 04

The laptop with the dialup connection only needs the odd couple of minutes to check email so it doesn't really warrant networking.

We've tried plugging in different phone outlets and different filters.

Both connections seem fine on their own so we'll leave things as they are and just connect one at a time as the laptop is only connected for emails.

Thanks to all who replied.

ton 22:59 02 Apr 04

I don't think this could be the problem as we tried the laptop (dialup) plugged in at the main entry phone socket (with a filter).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…