Broadband and dial-up on the same PC

BITS&BOBS 17:57 19 Aug 04

Can anyone help.

I've got a friend who has NTL broadband on his PC, he wants to use Online Banking with his bank Allied Irish Bank.

The problem is they have sent a form stating that you can only use dial-up to connect to there server.

My question is can you have both broadband and dial-up on the same PC without any conflict.

I appreciate it may be a case of using one connection at a time with slight setting change but is this something that can done.

Thanks in advance.

fsbb 18:08 19 Aug 04

BB & Dial-up on same PC yes. I retained dial-up in case BB modem packed up. I leave dial-up modem unplugged to avoid rogue dialers.

I do not understand why the bank says only dial-up can be used to connect to it's server. The method of connection to internet, be it BB or dial-up, is via your ISP's server. This in turn connects to the bank's server.

€dstowe 18:24 19 Aug 04

I don't use Internet banking as I don't need to (my studio is two doors from the bank) but, if my bank told me that, I would change to one that is more au fait with modern banking methods.

As fsbb says, the way you connect to the Internet is nothing to do with anyone but you and your ISP.

BITS&BOBS 18:26 19 Aug 04

I know thats what I thought but Allied Irish have sent me out the pack that says only dial-up is the only method, thanks for the imput.

BITS&BOBS 18:30 19 Aug 04

Yes its mad it says here you most use dail-up to connect to the mainframe it needs, a "communication device (modem or terminal adaptor, must be be accesible via a COM port on every PC that will have EBB installed and any PC that will be transmitting PC-BACS transaction"

And then in bold Broadband internet cannot be used for this service?

Diemmess 18:34 19 Aug 04

Having recently upgraded from dial-up to BB Aol state that I can use the old dial-up connection, but will be charged for that service by the minute. It is not included in the BB contract.

Unlike your bank, mine is not fussy, so obviously I have no need to use dial-up ......... However I can still use FAX on the old connection,.....Yes there are firms still about which use FAX!!!

Djohn 18:46 19 Aug 04

I agree with €dstowe in the method of connecting should not affect your friends ability to use on-line banking.

As Diemmess says you can have both methods of connection on your PC at the same time, [I have] and although I haven't tried it yet,I think you can have both connections open at the same time, especially if using a different ISP for each one.

Graham ® 19:48 19 Aug 04

The keyword here is 'mainframe'. This is not on-line banking, but connecting directly to the banks computer to move money around. A friend has to use dial-up as the cheapest way to do this for his business. The alternative is £20 per transaction.

I don't know the ins and outs, but it's to do with the interaction of the two systems that can't be done on broadband.

€dstowe 20:33 19 Aug 04

This is different to what you made it first appear.

Firstly ensure what your friend is attempting to do. If it's on line banking then I'm pretty certain that my first reply holds true. From what you say later and what Graham ® has picked up is using the BACS system which is different to on line banking. In these circumstances, it should be the bank that advises what particular hardware is suitable for this.

€dstowe 20:34 19 Aug 04

This is different to what you made it first appear.

Firstly ensure what your friend is attempting to do. If it's on line banking then I'm pretty certain that my first reply holds true. From what you say later and what Graham ® has picked up is using the BACS system which is different to on line banking. In these circumstances, it should be the bank that advises what particular hardware is suitable for this.

BITS&BOBS 21:06 19 Aug 04

Yes Sorry guys he is going to be paying staff with it it as well! Sorry about that.

But thanks for all replies, Allied have just said you need dial up and thats as far as the support goes!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…