Broadband Dial-up

sinctoy 06:10 14 Jan 07

I have 8Mbps Orange Broadband. Download speed varies between 3Mbps early morning down to to 6ooKbps late afternoon. I connect and disconnect when I need internet access via Thomson Speedtouch USB modem using "stdialup.exe" from a desktop icon. People seem surprised when I say I don't use an 'always on' connection.

Control Panel Network Connections says my connection Type is Dial-up. Is this compatible with broadband? Am I trying to use a dial-up connection on broadband? Is that possible?

SLAYER 06:16 14 Jan 07

whats your speedtouch model number?

jaritch 08:46 14 Jan 07

I am on Tiscali broadband and it is listed under dial up also. It is because the modem, also a speedtouch dials up 0,38. So I don't think your drop in connection is anything to do with that.

Stuartli 08:53 14 Jan 07

The 0,38 represents the VCI/VPI figures for the UK (other countries use different numbers) and would normally be used by ISPs on a BT line for broadband connections.

The connection is created using a "dialup" (in this case DSL) account and can/may be done through the Windows Connection Wizard in the normal way.

Have you downloaded the Speedtouch "up to 8MB" driver patch (perhaps even the latest driver as well) from:

click here

Stuartli 09:03 14 Jan 07

I'm presuming it's a Speedtouch 330 USB modem.

Even better would be a modem router. I use the wired version of this model range:

click here

The price was only just over £22 including p and p and is a rebadged Safecom model under e-Buyer's Guru value brand name.

It's a bit less now and can be used up to ADSLMax2+.

If you need a wireless version then it's obviously a little more expensive.

Dipso 16:43 14 Jan 07

Your connection is set up and working exactly as it should. When using a USB modem the connection is better described as "always available" than "always on"

sinctoy 16:57 14 Jan 07

Yes it is a Speedtouch 330, and I've updated the driver now, thanks Stuartli and installed 8Mb patch. Speeds seem better but I'll give it 24 hours.

Thanks for your response everyone.

woodchip 17:04 14 Jan 07

You will not get the best connection if you keep turning it off. Plus it should not have a Dial-Up in networking it should just register as a Connection

Stuartli 17:08 14 Jan 07

Before I got a modem router I used a Sagem [email protected] 800 USB modem and, obviously, used to have to reconnect each time I switched the system off and then back on again.

As far as I am aware it made no difference to the connection speeds.

woodchip 17:12 14 Jan 07

I think it does on a 8mb connection

woodchip 17:22 14 Jan 07

PS USB should still received power with the Computer switched off, Provided the Mains plug is left switched on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…