Broadband continually disconnecting

Sapins 15:39 06 Dec 03

Apart from the ISP having problems, broadband has just arrived and apparently the ISP is having to do another upgrade of the exchange, is there anything I can look at, adjust, or change to stop the modem continually disconnecting every couple of minutes?

Djohn 15:50 06 Dec 03

Sappins, which ISP are you using? and you say they are doing an up-grade to the exchange. Little confused on that, as it's BT that do any necessary work at the exchange.

What is the make of the modem, and how is it connected to your PC? j.

Sapins 19:03 06 Dec 03

Hi Djohn, sorry should have realised the ISP doesn't upgrade exchanges :-(.

I'm with Wanadoo in France which is part of France Telecom, I'm told the demand in our area was more than they expected so they are having to do more work on the exchange, It's likely they are having problems, I had the same problems on their dial-up service.I just wondered if there was anything I could do to improve things.

The modem is a Thompson ST USB connected externally.

Sapins 21:10 06 Dec 03

Djohn 21:24 06 Dec 03

Hi Sapins, if your modem settings are correct and set to default, then best to leave them for a while until your phone provider has finished work at the exchange. Frustrating I know, but once they have everything in order, you should be OK. If not then one of the forum members will most likely have some adjustments for you to try.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is, how is your modem connected to your PC? Is it direct to a USB connector, or to a PCI card, or through a hub? It may just be that the modem is calling for too much power, doesn't receive it and drops off-line. If this is correct, then a powered hub will solve your problem and can be bought for around £20.00 to £30.00 with 4 connectors, all powered. j.

I agree, it's a power problem. Do you want to do the honours whilst I get them in? Pint of bitter, wasn't it?

Djohn 21:57 06 Dec 03

Yes please [email protected]@m that will do very nicely thank you. ;o)

Chegs ® 02:28 07 Dec 03

Just to add,when my previous adsl provider gave an exact version of sapins excuse for a similar prob I was having(to many new signups had created to big a demand)I also gave them the benefit of doubt,but after several more mths of slow connection and repeated drop-outs I changed ISP.New one is slightly dearer,but service is fantastic.I regularly get 60+kbs d/l's,but the repeated drop-outs turned out to be driver sourced.I reinstalled my Via4 in 1,and the prob ceased.Why reinstalling Via driver would affect my PCI modem I don't know,but I would give other hardware drivers a check for updated ones first.

Sapins 08:41 07 Dec 03

Thanks for your replies Djohn, [email protected]@m and Chegs ®, the modem is connected through a non-powered hub but I am going to install a USB 2.0 card for a new scanner so maybe that will solve the problem. Having posted this thread the connection has remained on all night!!

I will tick this but post back when I have the new USB pots available. Thanks again to you all,

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…