Broadband & Contention Ratios

Rick7 18:43 24 Oct 06

I am looking for a new broadband provider and am getting confused over the various deals available.
ADSL providers appear to work with a contention ratio of 50:1 but I have heard that if I have cable broadband there is no contention ratio.
Does this mean that a 2MB cable service will be quicker than a 8MB ADSL service with a 50:1 contention ratio? Are there any other factors that would reduce the speed of the cable service?

I would be grateful for any help that anyone can provide.

Batch 18:53 24 Oct 06

I don't know what the situation is with cable, but with ADSL the effective throughput is dependent upon how many others in the same contention group are active at any one time. In simple terms, if no one else is active you should get the full speed (assuming no other limiting factors). If others are active the throughput will be degraded. In practice, very few people use 100% of the bandwidth for anything other than relatively short bursts.

I'm with a provider that has a 30 to 1 ratio, but I've never noticed anything other than virtually full speed - every time I've done a speed test it has been around the speed I've paid for.

birdface 00:30 25 Oct 06

I have cable, Speed test states that I almost get the full 2MB,What you have to considder is that you have to pay £17.99 a month for it,A Lot of broadband providers out there, you can get up to 10MB for the same price,Shop arround and you can get More than 2MB free,Sky is doing a deal that you get 15MB for £10 a month, But it is not in all areas,All I can say to you , Is shop arround, Wish I could , I am stuck with cable.

johnnyrocker 09:37 25 Oct 06

click here for isp comparitors all in one place and decide from there.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…