Broadband Connection and Windows XP

Craig-289433 08:43 07 Feb 03

I have a blueyonder Broadband connection and Windows XP, there is no connection to the net at all and have been told that it is a socket error as when you type ipconfig you get a ip address of 269.etc and when you type ipconfig/renew it wont repair the connection.

Is there any other way of repairing this error without actually having to reinstall Windows XP completly (ie format hard disk and start again).

AndySD 08:59 07 Feb 03

In the command prompt you will need to type

ipconfig /release

before

ipconfig /renew

But its more likely your NIC is not inatalled correctly. In the device manager remove it and reboot then install the drivers if needed. If this doesnt work then make sure its fitted into the pci slot correctly. (sometimes putting in the screw lifts the back of the card)

Craig-289433 09:21 07 Feb 03

I forgot to mention the Broadband modem is not connected to a NIC it is connected via USB

AndySD 09:35 07 Feb 03

Ok .... I have no experiance with these sorry

But it may be worth trying the same routine anyway.

It may just be that you need to reinstall or update the drivers for the USB modem.

Craig-289433 10:07 07 Feb 03

The drivers have been reinstalled and another modem was tried and all gave an IP address 269.etc

They didn't try ipconfig/release so will try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…