Broadband connection speed whilst on a network

gippingman 21:39 03 Oct 06

I am using a wired desktop pc & two wireless laptops via a linksys wag54gs-uk router. Before I used the router i used to get a connection icon in the system tray saying "connected at 1.1mbps" . Now all I get is the "LAN connected 100.0 mbps in the system tray" which I understand is a standard network icon which does not bear any resemblance to the connection speed?? - Is there any way of reverting to the original connection speed icon or does the network connection icon overide the original icon. If so, how do you tell what the true connection speed is when connected to the network?? - I am confused!

ade.h 23:21 03 Oct 06

In short, no. The PC can only monitor the speed of the connection itself - be that a LAN, internet link or whatever - not the speed of whatever is delivered on that connection. Besides, what you see is only the association (handshake) speed.

If you are curious, monitor it with network monitoring software which will give readouts of data throughput.

gippingman 18:00 11 Oct 06

I am with talk talk as my broadband supplier and their phone network has now been upgraded but as already described I can't really tell much about connection speed as I am now on a wireless network. Apparently the network is now capable of a maximum of 8mbps connection but in reality I suspect I would have got a max of 3-4 mbps under my old usb modem connection method

Is there any recommended monitoring software to enable me to find out the new connection speed.
I currently have a program called Line Speed meter installed and it is now saying - download speed of 829 kb/s and upload speed of 313 kb/s - how does that equate to the original ?? mbps speed as i do not really understand (or am happy with) the line speed meter software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017