Broadband connection speed (BT)

alltime 17:12 14 Jun 05

My connection speed to bt should have been updated on the 9th june to 2Mb. I spoke to bt last night who told me it has been updated to 2mb, I told the service engineer that when i click on the small tv monitor it still says 100.0Mbps. He assured me it had been changed to 2Mb. and that the input side to the computer is receiving 2Mb, But my local area connection will only show 1Mb (Confused) My wife happened to speak to a bt engineer today as a friend who said "you,ve got 2Mb at the back door but not to the computer,he said the computer needs adjusting". Can anyone throw any light on this, and how do i adjust it Please?

Hamish 17:39 14 Jun 05

Try doing a speedtest from here click here

alltime 18:41 14 Jun 05

Thanks Hamish, i did the speed test and all is well.It looks like the modem/Router shows 100.0Mbps not 1Mbps. spoke to belkin and they say thats right.

Minkey1 19:35 14 Jun 05

Hi, I'm on BT on 2meg, via a wired LAN to their 2100 Router. When the PC is on, I get a pair of blue screens for the LAN showing 100Mbps, then usually another pair showing "Internet Connection" at 2.2Mbps. As I understand it, the LAN is actually 50 times quicker than broadband.

The various speed tests at

click here
and

click here

will confirm the actual service delivered, although this will vary according to contention in your road and internet traffic generally. Even at quieter times of the day I've rarely seen more than 1.8Mbps.

Mike

Minkey1 19:35 14 Jun 05

Hi, I'm on BT on 2meg, via a wired LAN to their 2100 Router. When the PC is on, I get a pair of blue screens for the LAN showing 100Mbps, then usually another pair showing "Internet Connection" at 2.2Mbps. As I understand it, the LAN is actually 50 times quicker than broadband.

The various speed tests at

click here
and

click here

will confirm the actual service delivered, although this will vary according to contention in your road and internet traffic generally. Even at quieter times of the day I've rarely seen more than 1.8Mbps.

Mike

Minkey1 19:36 14 Jun 05

Sorry, posted twice...another "senior moment"...

alltime 23:41 14 Jun 05

I like the speedometer And thanks for the link. seems like im getting 281.28Kbps on the speedo.

cheven 00:50 15 Jun 05

Hi All,
Been following your thread with interest and a little confusion. I have just moved to BT and have set up their supplied Voyager 205 modem/router using the supplied ethernet cable which they advise for a single computer. The lan connection icon (overlapping computers) gives a speed of 100Mbps when I am a 512Kps. I am due to be connected to 2Mb this Thursday and was wondering what the icon would show then. I have done various speedtests,all showing roughly the same,about 460Kbps except for Minkey1's McAFee recommendation (a new one on me)which gave a speed of 170Kbps which must be wrong. Just re-tested, all the same at 460 give or take a bit, except for McAFee, again 170. Will the icon always show 100Mbps no matter what the speed is?. Prior to this router I had a Speedtouch modem and the icon for the internet connection always showed I was on 512 while the LAN icon showed disconnected. Can I get the internet connection icon back? and if so,how? I was going to wait until I was on 2Mbps and then throw these questions at BT's technical support. Any help would be appreciated.

dagwoood 01:43 15 Jun 05

cheven, the figure of 100Mbps is the amount of data that a LAN port can handle, so yes, it will always show this figure, irrespective of what speed broadband you have.

alltime 01:55 15 Jun 05

cheven,You say you are on 512k at the moment and with a modem, this is a dial up connection and will show on the little monitor about 512k.
When you install the router,(I assume this is a modem/router which will run from a rj45 connection, the connection is a LAN hence while you are on the dial up connection the LAN monitor will show disconnected.
When you get the router depending on the type the monitor will show 100.0 Mbps (Local area connection) but also there will be a (1934 connection which is the network adaptor), which shows 400Mbps.
Confusing is,nt it, Maybe someone else with a bit more technical knowledge could explain better.

cheven 01:58 15 Jun 05

Thanks Dagwoood,
That explains that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…