Broadband connection speed

phil46 14:08 29 Jul 06

How many of you out there have a problem with maintaining your broadband speed? i have had four ISP'S always when the connection goes live i get a good speed,exchange has a max of 4.5mb i started with 4.1mb by the evening it was 2.4mb then went to 4.0 at 2am in the morning and it has gone down to 1.5mb on Virgin.net on Freenetname i use toget 0.420mb rubbish.

FelixTCat 15:02 29 Jul 06

phil,

You don't say whether you have a MAX bb product. One of the features of MAX is that the rate varies the whole time. It is most likely to be fastest at the least busy times.

Having said that, your variability is rather wide.

One of the key measures is the downstream rate (synch speed), which you will normally find in your router's statistics. Your download speed is never going to be much more than 80% of this, but could be a lot lower.

Different adsl modems will synch at different rates. My D-Link modem synches 50% faster than my BT.

Its also noted that the various websites that "measure" your download speed can give different answers.

The downstream signal to noise ratio will also affect the download speed. This can also vary over time.

Finally, if you have recently changed over to a MAX product, you should be aware that this is much more sensitive to your house's internal wiring characteristics and also to marginal microfilters.

Try plugging your modem into the telephone master socket and comparing the synch speed there to the speed you get at your normal location. Any difference will be due to your internal wiring.

I have also found that leaving the modem powered up all the time improved my download speeds. BT monitor the synch speed over a 3 day period and adjust the download speed accordingly. It would appear that sometimes switching off the modem confuses their system.

Regards,

Felix

cofi 15:20 29 Jul 06

B.T.Yahoo Broadband with a B.T.Voyager 2500V wireless router option 1 up to 8meg.
My line is only able to manage up to 6meg but rarely get above 3.5meg and all too often down below 1.5meg so yes I do get problems maintaining my broadband speed.B.T.helpline is of very little help.

phil46 21:25 29 Jul 06

Many thanks for your info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac