Broadband Connection Speed

rustysutton 20:45 03 Mar 06

Hi I wonder if someone can give me an answer on this.

I have an 8meg internet connection which always connects at somewhere between 7.5 and 7.7 meg. This is fine but whenever I download files the transfer rate will start at something quite high (such as 3000kb) but very quickly the transfer speed slows right down before arriving at around 800kb(ish) although sometimes it falls even lower than this.

I thought its probably tied in to the upload speed of wherever I'm downloading from but if that was the case it wouldn't start out at such a high speed (or would it I dont know???)

Before I ring Bulldog to give them another earful I thought I should probably check if this is normal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

surfmonkey #:@} 21:29 03 Mar 06

i think your download speed depends on the sites you got to not all sites are as fast a 8mb and also the amount of people also downloading to i.e the more downloads the site has at one time the slower your download will also be plus if a site is on a say 1mb connection you are not going to get any download speed from the of above 1mb ans so on

rmcqua 21:34 03 Mar 06

It is absolutey normal for downloads to start fast and then slow down as the server and the remote download site automatically establish a speed that is likely to provide error free transmission. This behaviour is inherent in the protocol that packet switching systems use, Don't be concerned. 800Kb/s is a great download speed!

rustysutton 21:44 03 Mar 06

ok thanks very much for info.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:49 03 Mar 06

You usually get about 10 percent of the connected speed as a download speed I have noticed. Your 8 Meg connection equates to 0.8Meg downloads.(ballpark figures)
I have 2Meg and sometimes it starts at 450K but soon drops to 220-230K ish. Some sites may be sub 100K

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…