Broadband connection query .

curlylad 21:19 19 Feb 04

I've just upgraded to broadband and received the installation package.It says in the installation guide that every appliance must have a filter attached to it and then plugged directly into a BT socket.The problem is at the moment with my dial up connection I have a 5m cable from kitchen PC , telephone and satellite cable all going into a 3 way socket that fits into a single port BT point.Would this have me believe now that I have to get BT round to fit a 3 point BT socket or is there a 3 way filter box that I can plug the three appliances into that itself goes into just the single BT socket or perhaps there is some other device that I now need ?
Thanks in advance for any help.

explicitlyrics100 21:24 19 Feb 04

no - just plug the filter into the wall - then plug the three way splitter into the filter - then plug the phone and satellite connection into the 3 way splitter - then run another cable to your pc. If you cant run a new cable you will need a second splitter and a second filter.

curlylad 21:42 19 Feb 04

Cheers , I know its an easy enough question but if you've never made even beans on toast there is no way you could prepare an a la carte 7 course meal for 50 now is there , if you get what I mean , always had dial up modem so I was the beans on toast , does that make sense ?
Sorry if it doesn't , what I am trying to say is thanks a lot !

stlucia 09:01 20 Feb 04

Thanks. I was wondering the same too. But can a dial-up modem also be left plugged into the splitter (after the filter) in case I ever need to dial up?

johnnyrocker 09:40 20 Feb 04

filter not required for dial up, filters job is to prevent broadband creating a noise on your analogue line.

johnny.

curlylad 21:24 20 Feb 04

I think what stlucia meant was if she only has one BT phone socket and the filter is plugged into it with say a 3 way splitter , would it be OK or would it work OK if you put the dial up connection lead into one of the ports of the splitter in case you wanted to say run a second PC from dial up connection.I know it isn't necessary to put a dial up connection through the filter but if it is the only socket then you would have no choice .Is that what you mean't stlucia and does that make sense johnnyrocker ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…