Broadband connection problem

charlton200 19:13 25 May 06

Hello,
I have just set up my new broadband connection from tiscali. I have never had broadband before and I was wondering if you could get me over a small problem.
I have checked my settings on there help page and it said I had to change the setting in internet options from, always dial my connection to never dial a connection.
Since I have done this I cannot get on the internet without going to control panel/ Network connection and connecting from there.
Is there a way over this.
I have rang tiscali but got a Indian fellow on a bad line and could not understand a word.

Thanks.

terryf 19:17 25 May 06

Have you looked at the tiscali help page? I seem to remember that there has been discussion of this but can't remember the thread. Try the search

Jackcoms 19:17 25 May 06

I also use Tiscali and use 'Always dial my default connection'.

mammak 19:25 25 May 06

What Jackcoms said would likely work best I'm sure you have but check you have deleted all previous dailup connections.

Jackcoms 19:28 25 May 06

Check also that in Network Connections you have set the Tiscali BB connection as your default.

Right click on the Tiscali BB icon and click 'Set as default connection'.

charlton200 19:30 25 May 06

Hi thanks,
Yes, it works when I use "always dial my connection".
I will try to find that artical on the help pages.

I thought the thing with broadband was that when you turned on your PC the internet would be straight on and ready to go , I didn't think the dial up box would come up and you would have to connect.
And if I have "never dial up my connection" ticked like they say , would have to go to network connection to get on.
I thought broadband took away the need for this.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks very much.

Jackcoms 19:39 25 May 06

The Tiscali BB connection uses the dial-up box the first time you launch IE (or otherwise connect).

After that it is always on (unless you shut down the PC) if you want it to be always on.

Personally, I ALWAYS disconnect whenever I'm away from the PC for an extended period.

I believe (rightly or wrongly) that this helps to keep the 'nasties' away. ;-)

charlton200 19:50 25 May 06

Thanks, for your help. I think its sinking in now.

cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…