Broadband connection to office 70mtrs away

onthelimit1 09:41 28 Mar 15

Client has his router in downstairs window of main house. Office is the other side of a courtyard. He has two PCs with TpLink wireless dongles in the window connected to the PCs by USB cables. The signal is quite weak and drops out from time to time.

Homeplugs are not an option as different mains circuits. Ethernet cable not an option owing to the geography.

I'm thinking of an external antenna connected to some access point type device in the office (that, in itself, does not need to be wireless as the PCs could connect by ethernet) that could pick up the WiFi signal and push it to the computers.

Any personal experiences of this sort of situation with suggestions please.

Secret-Squirrel 15:52 28 Mar 15

I haven't had any hands-on experience of your problem but do you think that something like this would be ideal for your client's problem? From what you've said, the wireless signal just needs a bit of extra oomph and that device in principle should do the job.

If you do install one then please let me know how you got on.

bumpkin 22:31 28 Mar 15

Homeplugs are not an option as different mains circuits.

Are they from the same consumer unit or fusebox, if so I am told that they will work. Not tried it myself but plenty of info online.

lotvic 22:42 28 Mar 15

You could convert a satellite dish into a WiFi Antenna Howto ClickHere

onthelimit1 09:56 29 Mar 15

The two buildings are on separate boxes - I did try, but no joy. The TP-Link device looks promising, and looks cheaper than a satellite dish. I'll talk to him when I'm next there to see what he wants to do. If he opts for the TP-Link, I'll let you know how we get on.

Secret-Squirrel 10:14 29 Mar 15

"The TP-Link device looks promising,......"

In case you're not aware, you'll also need a power injector - something like this.

bumpkin 12:28 29 Mar 15

SS, I ask out of genuine interest, why is the power injector required.

Secret-Squirrel 12:37 29 Mar 15

Hi Bumpkin

The TP-Link outdoor access point I suggested gets its power (and data) via the same Ethernet cable - the technology is called POE (power over Ethernet). The vast majority of routers don't have this so that's why a power injector is required.

bumpkin 12:49 29 Mar 15

Thanks for the explanation, I see what you mean now.

onthelimit1 13:03 29 Mar 15

As far as I can tell, the TP-Link comes with its own power injector:

Box Contains TL-WA7210N Power Supply Unit, PoE Injector, Pole Mounting Kits, Resource CD, Quick Installation Guide

Secret-Squirrel 13:22 29 Mar 15

"........the TP-Link comes with its own power injector:.."

Ooops - good job you spotted that. Sorry about my earlier sloppy post :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5